Humble Bundle - Filmmakers ( inc Hitfilm Pro 14.1 )

aidan o driscoll

Jeez lads .. shur only $30 is surely worth the punt for the latest version of a $300+ application?

At minimum, even if you dont use it now you are in at the ground floor for pretty much nothing which means going forward you can upgrade cheaper rather than buying a full version later on when Hitfilm Pro matures further.

• Like 4
  • Great Idea 1

Couldn't agree more Aiden. 

I am looking forward to getting stuck in  this weekend. Lots to try out with all of the content included.

Some of that vfx stuff would have come in really handy a while back for some videos I made. Should be fun to try using it as the quality looks good. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

Jeez lads .. shur only $30 is surely worth the punt for the latest version of a $300+ application?

At minimum, even if you dont use it now you are in at the ground floor for pretty much nothing which means going forward you can upgrade cheaper rather than buying a full version later on when Hitfilm Pro matures further.

$30 wasted on something you won't actually use is $30 wasted on something you won't actually use.

Not saying this isn't a good deal, but I'm quite sure that the majority that buy it would have been just as well served with the free DavinciResolve.  Thus $30 wasted for the average person.  It takes time to learn yet another software program, this inst' something you will get the advanced features out of in a 10 min tutorial.  

Those that will use the Effects packs, etc it would be $30 that is worthwhile.  

• Like 1

Is this for real? I've never used this humble bumble thing before but all of this for $30.00 is a friggin brilliant Christmas present!

I've been using a basic version of Hitfilm and was just considering moving to pro. It is a very steep learning curve but I'm up there now. I've always wanted to incorporate Sci-Fi into my films. Some of the things you can do with Hitfilm look really good, not cheesy at all if you get it right on a big monitor for editing. I have just moved to Mirrorless from Canon, just got a secondhand GH3 for cheap but getting good glass. If it works out, I'll grab a GH4 and have the GH3 as backup.  All the LUT's, lower third stuff and FX etc....Fantastic!

Vegas is my main NLE, but I have yet to combine the two together in a consistent workflow yet.

I bought it but will have to go to the library to download this afternoon, still can't believe it will actually happen.....this is an excellent package for me, just at the right time, thanks heaps Aiden!

Now to just cross my fingers and hope it all goes according to plan.

Edited by Tezza
  • Like 2

Humble Bundle is legit.  They are also very cool and easy to work with.  It's now a very well run machine.  Create an account, buy the bundle at the $30 level, get all the serial keys and activate them.  They have web pages that explain how to redeem each of the many products in this bundle.  The steps involved can be complicated but they do have pretty good documentation which you should read.  Mostly it involves making accounts at the various businesses and installing the software and then using the serial number to register the software.

Ignite Pro's ton of plugins shows up in Resolve, Adobe Premiere and After Effects for me with no problems.  That alone is a pretty good deal for $30.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Fleer said:

What in the name of Zeus are you guys doing with all this ?

Personally it is to help with my tutorial production as well as those cases where I need to put a video together for an arrangement for a client. It  challenges me to think outside of just music production and fine new ways I can leverage producing video content that would complement and add value to my music producing and arranging.

Recently I have been working with a screenwriter who needs trailer like presentations to help present her screenplay ideas so having video editing capabilities really is essential for me. 

Here is a project I worked on recently. I did the audio sweetening (cleaning up vocals, noise reduction) and did the music arrangement using Cakewalk by BandLab and editing it in Vegas Pro 15.

• Like 2

Nice effort Simeon, music sounds great.

I like that they show the download sizes on humble download page, about 50gigs of goodness in total! AAArgh! Windows 10 required and my 256gig C drive is not going to cope at all oh well, everything else has been updated so all i need to do is chuck in a new motherboard with CPU and ram and windows 10. Was going to do that soon anyway.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Humble Bundle is legit.  They are also very cool and easy to work with.  It's now a very well run machine.  Create an account, buy the bundle at the $30 level, get all the serial keys and activate them.  They have web pages that explain how to redeem each of the many products in this bundle.  The steps involved can be complicated but they do have pretty good documentation which you should read.  Mostly it involves making accounts at the various businesses and installing the software and then using the serial number to register the software.

Ignite Pro's ton of plugins shows up in Resolve, Adobe Premiere and After Effects for me with no problems.  That alone is a pretty good deal for $30.

Would you say getting the free version of DaVinci Resolve and buying this bundle would give you the rough equivalent of the paid version of DaVinci Resolve since these plugins show up in DR? Would there still be a good reason to ever buy the paid version of DR if one got this bundle? 

8 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

+1, this may be overkill for many folks, but if/when the time comes it would be good to have (even at this version only). Rather than fumble with cheap alternatives and deciding later that you need more, you would already have something that can do a lot more and work your way up from the basics - not really any different from starting using CbB to make pod casts, then deciding to work orchestration one day. This is an awesome opportunity for someone who "might one day" get into video work without having to shell out big bucks... and in the event that it is just a flash in the pan (which is common to see), at least it wasn't a massive money investment for nothing.

I had not heard of HitFilm before, but I already like the workflow to it, and seems pretty easy to start simple and shift gears into complex. All of the FX "just working" with the supported programs is just a nice bonus.

Christian... your post popped up as I was typing... my suggestion would be working with Resolve until you hit a wall requiring an upgrade (goes for any program really). You may not ever miss it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Simplest way is to go directly to the FXHOME site and create an account, then register the keys given. Installing the software, during activation give the email and password one used to log into one's account. The software will reboot, and there you go. I noticed no commentary on the Filmstro Pro package.

3 hours ago, mettelus said:

I had not heard of HitFilm before, but I already like the workflow to it, and seems pretty easy to start simple and shift gears into complex. All of the FX "just working" with the supported programs is just a nice bonus.

It's pretty easy to work with to do basic NLE stuff, I think the text input is the only reason I wouldn't use it as my default editor, this may have changed with the recent version. It's also easy to bring the FX into footage but they will look a bit raw, a little overdone usually, without tweaking.  When you get to understand the numerous options to tweak the effect to look really believable in your footage, or build effects from scratch using the generators, that's when it starts to look really good. I would advise a big dedicated monitor for this, I just use my TV, it's only 32 inches but it's 1080p, and that is all I need at present. It's a lot easier to see gradients, shadows, lights etc and to make the necessary subtle changes that really get it to sit with the footage.

7 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

Would you say getting the free version of DaVinci Resolve and buying this bundle would give you the rough equivalent of the paid version of DaVinci Resolve since these plugins show up in DR? Would there still be a good reason to ever buy the paid version of DR if one got this bundle? 

The differences between Resolve and Resolve Studio aren't really that clear.  Blackmagic still only has this one document for Resolve 15, it hasn't been updated for 16.

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/SupportNotes/DaVinci_Resolve_15_Feature_Comparison.pdf

I'm not sure if HDR and greater than 4k is all that important to most people.  The missing effects are pretty much covered by this Ignite Pro bundle.  The missing audio effects I'm assuming anyone posting here has a ton of better VST plugins which should work in Resolve.  There are some file formats the lite version doesn't support but I'm not sure if that would effect most people though.  Movie file format support is going to always be an issue no matter what you use to edit video with.

Again I think for most users the paid version of Resolve doesn't bring all that much to the table.  For Fusion there are a bunch of 3D/optical flow features that I personally think are useful but again I don't think the average user would ever bother with. 

I don't really think the effects in this bundle changes things all that much though.  Editing video isn't really about having a vast collection of visual effect tools.  I think not getting this bundle and just using Resolve itself as is covers most people.  This bundle just helps with the VFX side of the fence.  Which may or may not be all that important to you.  If you need to blow things up, do guns/lasers, etc.  Having HitFilm and these plugins and stock footage can be invaluable.  Even normal video these days have a lot more VFX work than most people realize.  Object removal and green screen pretty much top the list.  Sadly neither of those are always easy with or without a ton of plugins.

• Thanks 1