"View the plugins"

MagBass

In Preferences|Keyboard shortcuts, in the Function panel, there's an entry "View the plugins".  I've tried to bind this to a character to see what it does, but nothing happens.  Does anyone know what this function is supposed to be and how to get to it?  I was looking to assign a key to call up the Plugin Manager, as I end up using it a lot, but I don't see an option for it in the Function panel and thought perhaps "View the plugins" might be it.

I was intrigued by this post, and spent some time this morning trying to figure it out.

I came up empty.

I bound a key to View the Plugins, and applied the change, and even cycled CbB, and launched a project with some plugins, and even tried it from within the Cakewalk Plug-in Manager.  I could find no circumstance where that shortcut key I bound to View the Plugins visually or objectively did anything.

I also searched both the documentation and did a Google search on: Cakewalk "View the Plugins" and got zero results.

So - my answer to your post is currently : "Dunno"

That's going to bug me - because I don't like to be in a state of "Dunno".  :)  (hopefully, someone smarter than me will explain View the Plugins)

Bob Bone

2 hours ago, MagBass said:

there's an entry "View the plugins"...Does anyone know what this function is supposed to be and how to get to it?

As mentioned above, this is for the plug-in tab in the browser not the plug-in manager.

The plug-in manager is an external program. There are no functions for external programs in keyboard shortcuts. There is a keyboard accelerator for the plug-in manager in the Utilities menu - ALT+U+M.

Well, I still am in the Dunno camp - as I still have no idea what the View the Plugins keyboard shortcut does - so please tell me how to get it to do something when I click on the keyboard key I bound to it.

I was also aware of the plug-in manager being external these days, I just was trying anything I could think of to see if I could see if View the Plugins did anything.  I was flailing - :)

Thanks, 

I will sleep better tonight, knowing the answer to this.

Bob Bone

Edited by Robert Bone
Added some text

3 minutes ago, MagBass said:

@Robert Bone

Turns out if you have the Browser open and you're on the Media or the Notes tabs, pressing that bound key will move to the Plugins tab, that's all. But the Browser has to already be open. This is as explained by @Kevin Perry

Sure - except I do not see any such result - I see absolutely nothing happen when I press the bound key - and I triple-checked that I am pressing the key I bound to the View the Plugins shortcut.

So - I remain Dunno - perhaps even Double Dunno. :)

Bob Bone

AHA AHA AHA AHA!

NOW I get it - (I have understood all along - I just mean I figured out why I had nothing happen when I would press the bound key).

SOOOOO - I had used an out of the way key in my original binding to the View the Plugins shortcut.  The key I used was the '~' key.

But, as luck would have it, I am blind as a bat these days, and even though I correctly bound that very same '~' key to the shortcut, well, it turns out that my grizzled gaze couldn't tell that I needed to use the $(*@$(*)*&& SHIFT key to actually click the '~' key - I couldn't see that it was some other stupidly small character I haven't seen in probably a good 30 years......

I found this because just for grins, I used a different key combo CTRL+J to be the bound to View the Plugins, and then it started working - dutifully pulling up or collapsing the Synth Rack's loaded plugins.

So, I then went back to my original key the elusive '~' key.  THIS time, I literally put the computer keyboard up close enough to where I could make out that I would need to hit the Shift key to actually click on the '~' key, so it had been working all along, and I apparently just went ahead and aged a bit, and well, that's what happened.....

After lamenting my turning 60 recently, I can indeed say I am no longer in the Dunno camp, regarding View the Plugins.  Of course, all of this typing has worn me out, so I think I shall curl up with the cats, and surrender to a nap. :)

Bob Bone

3 hours ago, MagBass said:

@Robert Bone
I'm glad you got that worked out. I'm completely familiar with "old eye syndrome"; I have two pair of glasses that I swap furiously multiple times a day: one to read my cell phone; one to see my computer screen.

At least there's still the music...

YUP - fingers and brain are still kind of working, so I have THAT going for me.  :)