Shortcut Binding

Astraios

Hi and Hello again,

I still want to remember and criticize Cakewalks low level 'Keyboard Binding' solution.

Had found an article:  "30 days with Cakewalk - Part 1: AlmostEverything
"https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/music/2018/12/22/Cakewalk-Part-1-Almost-Everything.html

There you will find a detailed explanation about what is going wrong...

to read there...

-TERRIBLE default bindings - The default bindings are some sort of next level trash. A number of useful functions are unbound, and useful functions (like tools) are bound to overlapping keys.
-Multiple Layers - You cant search just everything. You need to know if your binding is global, console, event list, step sequencer, etc… etc… You’re left to browsing 18 sub-layers of shortcuts by hand.
-Slow - the keyboard shortcuts window is slow to load, slow to bind/unbind and slow to switch “areas”.
-Corruption - I’ve had my shortcuts corrupted once, that’s more times than I ever want it to happen. I’ve never had this happen in any other software. I’ve lost bindings due to my own idiocy, but never had bindings corrupted on save.

The Keyboard Shortcuts window is a necessary feature that’s only half-done."

For me, taking lanes or workspace-philosophy isn't that much the hype, I rather prefer optimation on things I really need. Thx for reading 🙂

With nice regards
from Berlin

30 days with Cakewalk - Part 1_.pdf

1 hour ago, Astra-Ios said:

I still want to remember and criticize Cakewalks low level 'Keyboard Binding' solution.

. . .

The Keyboard Shortcuts window is a necessary feature that’s only half-done."

For me, taking lanes or workspace-philosophy isn't that much the hype, I rather prefer optimation on things I really need.

Hi.  Over the past few months I have worked on developing my own personal Workspaces [formerly Lenses].  On my "to-do" list is testing and developing different key bindings for use in different Workspaces.   I have noticed that with 2019.11, Workspaces seem to be faster to switch/load than previously. 

With your interest in key bindings, have you tested the use of Workspaces to switch sets of key bindings?  If so, I am wondering if you have any specific observations to share--things that work, things that don't work as expected, specific uses of key bindings that seem well-suited for specific tasks, etc.

Last week, a fellow Cakewalk user posted some Workspaces in trying to solve a problem. I looked at those and got some excellent ideas related to PRV key bindings that I will try to work into my personal Workspaces (such as my "Staff Entry" Workspace).  I mention this to give you an idea of what I am interested in--if you have explored using Workspaces to switch key binding sets. 

Thanks.

• Great Idea 1

3 hours ago, User 905133 said:

Hi.  Over the past few months I have worked on developing my own personal Workspaces [formerly Lenses].  On my "to-do" list is testing and developing different key bindings for use in different Workspaces.   I have noticed that with 2019.11, Workspaces seem to be faster to switch/load than previously. 

With your interest in key bindings, have you tested the use of Workspaces to switch sets of key bindings?  If so, I am wondering if you have any specific observations to share--things that work, things that don't work as expected, specific uses of key bindings that seem well-suited for specific tasks, etc.

Last week, a fellow Cakewalk user posted some Workspaces in trying to solve a problem. I looked at those and got some excellent ideas related to PRV key bindings that I will try to work into my personal Workspaces (such as my "Staff Entry" Workspace).  I mention this to give you an idea of what I am interested in--if you have explored using Workspaces to switch key binding sets. 

Thanks.

... please, take a look at my profile - this might answer a few questions...

• Like 1

Interesting site. Of his four conclusions about keybindings, I only minimally agree with the first two (TERRIBLE defaults,  Can't serach all 'areas'), and absolutely disagree with last two (slow and prone to corruption) .

- Everybody has different opinion about what default bindings are needed and make the most sense.  I've only had to make a handful of changes to customize it to my needs and preferences. But I have the benefit of having worked with Cakewalk through it's entire history, and learned new keybindings as they were introduced/changed, so they seem mostly natural to me. Ultimately, I don't see how any software with many hundreds of functions is going to have a completely satisfactory mapping of those functions to a 101-key keyboard.

- The division of bindings into different 'area' is a double-edged sword. It can sometimes be difficult to find the exact name of a function in order to bind it, but in general, it seems to me that if you're aware of the existence of a function that you want to bind, it should be pretty obvious in which area you'll find it and what keyword will bring it up.

- The UI doesn't seem at all slow to me.  The writer says he hates Windows; maybe in part because his system has performance issues.

- In 30 years, I don't recall ever having my keybindings get 'corrupted' - possibly another example of issues with his Windows environment.

I agree the OP needs to make specific recommendations for changes he would like to see.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, David Baay said:

Interesting site. Of his four conclusions about keybindings, I only minimally agree with the first two (TERRIBLE defaults,  Can't serach all 'areas'), and absolutely disagree with last two (slow and prone to corruption) .

- Everybody has different opinion about what default bindings are needed and make the most sense.  I've only had to make a handful of changes to customize it to my needs and preferences. But I have the benefit of having worked with Cakewalk through it's entire history, and learned new keybindings as they were introduced/changed, so they seem mostly natural to me. Ultimately, I don't see how any software with many hundreds of functions is going to have a completely satisfactory mapping of those functions to a 101-key keyboard.

- The division of bindings into different 'area' is a double-edged sword. It can sometimes be difficult to find the exact name of a function in order to bind it, but in general, it seems to me that if you're aware of the existence of a function that you want to bind, it should be pretty obvious in which area you'll find it and what keyword will bring it up.

- The UI doesn't seem at all slow to me.  The writer says he hates Windows; maybe in part because his system has performance issues.

- In 30 years, I don't recall ever having my keybindings get 'corrupted' - possibly another example of issues with his Windows environment.

I agree the OP needs to make specific recommendations for changes he would like to see.

...as you said, you never fumbled much around with this stuff, right? Try to get deeper and you will see what happens...

5 minutes ago, razor7music said:

I printed out the shortcuts and have a laminated copy at my workstation. These days I rarely refer to it, but it's a nice reference if I'm looking for something I don't typically use.

... and what about your SPACE-Key? Don't you use it? 🙏

32 minutes ago, Astra-Ios said:

...as you said, you never fumbled much around with this stuff, right? Try to get deeper and you will see what happens...

No, I never said that. I may only have ended up with a dozen or two custom bindings, but that doesn't mean I haven't spent a fair amount of time in there over thirty years.

Not sure what you mean by 'get deeper', unless you mean create/alter many more bindings.

If you have a recipe fo demonstrating a specifiic issue, you should share it.

17 minutes ago, Astra-Ios said:

great judgement… 🙈 (you are the ONE, who knows… (everything)

Thank you.  Always glad to help.

Edited by David Baay
typoes

38 minutes ago, David Baay said:

No, I never said that. I may only have ended up with a dozen or two custom bindings, but that doesn't mean I haven't spent a fair amount of time in there over thirty years.

Not sure what you mean by 'get deeper', unless you mean create/alter many more bindings.

... take a look in my profile, this should answer some ....

50 minutes ago, David Baay said:

36 minutes ago, Astra-Ios said:

I almost bought me something like this before BL took over. The thing is, as new functions are introduced into the software, your keyboard shortcut labels become obsolete. Logitech = https://logickeyboard.com/shop/cakewalk-sonar-editing-pc-keyboards-992c1.html

Edited by razor7music
  • Thanks 1