IK Announce Amplitube Joe Satriani

cclarry

9 hours ago, Carlos said:

Someone saved me the effort:

The actual title is aptly named.  

But hat doesn't prove your point at all.  

Over saturated tone is being EQ'd by the speakers/cabinet.   Any competent guitarist knows this.  

The amp and settings itself is fundamental in getting good tone out of either speaker.  

Did he massively alter the amp settings to compensate for the EQ curve differences in the amp?  He didn't, and I'd argue the tone itself was fairly equal between the two examples, just different.  

Tone can be judged on quality of the sound, and honestly the tone in the video is not very good in any of the examples.  

Try the same test with amps setup properly to produce good dynamic tone with a solid fundamental through the same speaker and you can start to hear which amp is more dynamic and rich in tonal complexity.   No argument that the speaker matters in the EQuing of the tone shape and the overall quality of the tone, but it isn't the #1 driver for quality.  

If you are dealing with horrible metal tone, then yeah, I'd put more emphasis on the final EQ and qualities a speaker gives, just like the video demonstrates.  

Edited by Brian Walton

2 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

The amp and settings itself is fundamental in getting good tone out of either speaker ...

Try the same test with amps setup properly to produce good dynamic tone with a solid fundamental through the same speaker and you can start to hear which amp is more dynamic and rich in tonal complexity.   No argument that the speaker matters in the EQuing of the tone shape and the overall quality of the tone, but it isn't the #1 driver for quality.  

Thanks mate, you proved it ;) (no fingers applied). Cheers.

On 12/12/2019 at 12:16 PM, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

I also offered my modded and custom pedals, too, but nobody wanted AmpliTube UIKG

Don't laugh, but I'd be more interested in that than the Satch pack.

Don't get me wrong, he's an extraordinary player with perfectly good tone.  Most of his amps and pedals, though, aren't that much different from what Amplitube already offers.

That's the reason I suggested the Nels Cline pack.  It doesn't matter if you are in awe of his playing or are someone who has never heard of him or Wilco.  There's some good stuff in his rig that's worth having that isn't already in Amplitube, and that's way more interesting to me than trying to get any specific player's sound.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 11:51 PM, Magic Russ said:

Don't laugh, but I'd be more interested in that than the Satch pack.

Don't get me wrong, he's an extraordinary player with perfectly good tone.  Most of his amps and pedals, though, aren't that much different from what Amplitube already offers.

That's the reason I suggested the Nels Cline pack.  It doesn't matter if you are in awe of his playing or are someone who has never heard of him or Wilco.  There's some good stuff in his rig that's worth having that isn't already in Amplitube, and that's way more interesting to me than trying to get any specific player's sound.

I'm not laughing, I'm flattered! :)  I really do like my "P-Fuzz" custom pedal.  It is a Pfeiffer O-Fuzz but with additional functions and left very hot like the original O-Fuzz before they tamed it (and also had sent out or installed a fix for those wimps who thought it was too over the top... boo!).

Speaking of Wilco, I am  a huge Parks and Recreation fan and was laughing my azz off when I saw Jeff Tweedy playing the role of a local musician.  Also happy to see Letters To Cleo, as I know most of those folks from my Boston days.  But I digress...

Edited by Peter - IK Multimedia
silly censor!