Melodyne 4 Assistant vs. Editor 4

Frank DeFede

I did this upgrade a long time ago. Although they say it can detect polyphonic material please just be prepared that for many stuff it doesn't work! Nevertheless I can remember a positive case when a keyboarder reached 2 keys instead of one and I could remove the faulty one. My impression is that polyphonic material only works for very clean material like piano (that was the positive case above), picked accoustic guitar and such stuff, forget about synthesizer, vocals and the like! 😖

2 hours ago, marled said:

I did this upgrade a long time ago. Although they say it can detect polyphonic material please just be prepared that for many stuff it doesn't work! Nevertheless I can remember a positive case when a keyboarder reached 2 keys instead of one and I could remove the faulty one. My impression is that polyphonic material only works for very clean material like piano (that was the positive case above), picked accoustic guitar and such stuff, forget about synthesizer, vocals and the like! 😖

It works for vocals - getting things in tune for example. you can easily ( sic ) work out which blobs refer to the voice. and modify them.

i also use it for bass - to tame things down. But recently i’ve been converting it to midi, then i use a soft synth - a good way to get rid of finger “clicks” or transients.

YMMV,

Jerry

1 hour ago, Jeremy Oakes said:

It works for vocals - getting things in tune for example. you can easily ( sic ) work out which blobs refer to the voice. and modify them.

i also use it for bass - to tame things down. But recently i’ve been converting it to midi, then i use a soft synth - a good way to get rid of finger “clicks” or transients.

YMMV,

Jerry

I did not say that it does not work in general with vocals and so on, my statements only refer to polyphonic detection and there it depends on the simplicity of a sound whether it works (like piano). If you use it for example on a synthesizer track, then you may get too many voices, some voices do not continue, overtones are used as voices and so on, i.e. it would need endless manual work in the detection window to get it right, before you could begin to change!! And I believe there are many out there who can confirm this! 😉

I use Melodyne a lot, but mostly for single voice (melodic) stuff like single voice vocal and bass guitar tracks! But for that you do not have to upgrade to Editor from Assistant!

I bought it long ago.

I use it almost never. Primarily to see which person was really out of tune. 🙂

If you care a ton about vocals, it might be a cool thing to have.

I'm much more a catch-as-catch-can type of person. I record what was played and do my best to help the prettiest parts shine on playback. Beyond that... I don't really care. I don't spend much time trying to make rough parts pretty.

Edited by Gswitz
  • Like 1