Odd, sudden issue with plugin...

AxlBrutality

So last night I grabbed Audio Assault's Duality bass amp sim, and played with it all last evening and this morning with no issue.

Then, all of a sudden, I open my project back up later this morning, and as soon as it loads, there's a pop, my bass track is pegged (volume wise) as shown (without even hitting play or having input monitoring enabled)...and I have no sound out of anything.  It's like there's a massive feedback loop somewhere....except there's not.

The problem is quite obviously Duality...because if I disable/turn off Duality, it's fine.  But it seems strange to me that it was literally working fine, and now it's not....with literally zero changes or updates to my computer, CbB, or Duality.

Anybody else have an experience with something like this with other plugins, or maybe a simple solution before I contact Audio Assault?

I do recall having this happen a few random times over the years with random other plugins, but normally closing Cakewalk and reopening it solved it.  Not so in this instance.

Edit: As a quick note:  if I delete the plugin and insert a new instance of it, it's fine.....until I reopen the project next time.  Opening/loading the project is what seems to trigger it.

Edit 2:  Problem doesn't seem to occur unless I change more than a few parameters on the plugin.  Leaving it at its defaults doesn't seem to cause the problem.  Gradually tweaking more and more parameters, I found that after about the 6th parameter change from defaults is when the problem starts to occur.

Edit 3:  I have reproduced this problem both in this project and in a blank, 1-track project.

Duality.png

Edited by AxlBrutality

Try using the VST 2 version, not the VST 3 one that CbB uses by default.  You might have to remove the check from the parameter in Preferences that, by default, is set to hide VST 2 plugins when there is also a VST 3 version of the same plugin available.

Sometimes, VST 3 plugins act a bit unstable, but the VST 2 version works fine - that may be the case here.  Certainly worth a quick test.  :)

Bob Bone

You could also temporarily move the VST 3 version off to a different folder outside the scan path used by CbB, or just temporarily rename it within its current location in C://Program Files/Common Files/VST3 etc... (not sure if it would be in a sub-folder to that, or not, so once in the VST3 sub-folder, you might have to look for it).  You could rename it back to its original name, following the test of the VST2 version, or move it back into its sub-folder in the Common File/VST3 original location (wherever you had found it).

Bob Bone

2 minutes ago, Robert Bone said:

Try using the VST 2 version, not the VST 3 one that CbB uses by default.  You might have to remove the check from the parameter in Preferences that, by default, is set to hide VST 2 plugins when there is also a VST 3 version of the same plugin available.

Sometimes, VST 3 plugins act a bit unstable, but the VST 2 version works fine - that may be the case here.  Certainly worth a quick test.  :)

Bob Bone

Plugin shows that it's the VST2 version.

Duality 2.png

20 minutes ago, Robert Bone said:

Oops - I missed seeing that.  OK then - I dunno :)

I looked to see if they offered a demo version, but there does not seem to be one available, yet.

Bob Bone

Lol it wasn't in the first screenshot, so no worries.  I posted a second screenshot to show proof that I was indeed using the VST2 version.

Interesting note...next logical step was to try the VST3 version...now I cannot, for the life of me, recreate the issue.

I didn't think it was common for the VST3 version to be more stable than the VST2 version....

Edited by AxlBrutality

59 minutes ago, AxlBrutality said:

I didn't think it was common for the VST3 version to be more stable than the VST2 version....

I think the tide on this one is slowly turning.  Early on VST3 plugins had more issues, they were newer and things were unfinished.  VST2 was old school and stable.  But now that VST2 isn't supported by Steinberg  (if you want to sell a VST2 plugin you had to have gotten a license before last year I think) more developers are focusing on VST3 and as a result the VST2 plugins are seeing more specific to them issues.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Classic symptom of a plugin that has internally crashed and is now generating denormals or bad floating point data.

Thanks, Noel.  I'll go ahead and let AA know their VST2 version appears to be occasionally crashing/having freakouts in CbB...and I'll stick with the VST3 for now (as long as it's doing fine).

Honestly, I'm not too heartbroken.  I got it on ridiculous sale for only $12, I have other bass sims, and I'm not very attached to it....kinda unimpressed.  Which is a shame; I like their guitar stuff. 

Edited by AxlBrutality

48 minutes ago, AxlBrutality said:

Thanks, Noel.  I'll go ahead and let AA know their VST2 version appears to be occasionally crashing/having freakouts in CbB...and I'll stick with the VST3 for now (as long as it's doing fine).

Honestly, I'm not too heartbroken.  I got it on ridiculous sale for only $12, I have other bass sims, and I'm not very attached to it....kinda unimpressed.  Which is a shame; I like their guitar stuff. 

Check this one out - Simon Grove, from Plini's band, uses this plugin, and it sounds great - WAY more to it than the demo examples sound:

This also has a 14-day trial.

https://neuraldsp.com/products/darkglass-ultra-plugins/ 

Bob Bone

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Robert Bone said:

Check this one out - Simon Grove, from Plini's band, uses this plugin, and it sounds great - WAY more to it than the demo examples sound:

This also has a 14-day trial.

https://neuraldsp.com/products/darkglass-ultra-plugins/ 

Bob Bone

Yea, I've heard a lot of really good stuff about Darkglass.  Just don't have the cash to drop on it right now...it's on the [very long] list. 😂

Duality was kinda just an impulse buy, since it was dirt cheap and I was curious.  Even if I'm still unimpressed with it after a while, I still have Revalver (pretty much the only thing I still use Revalver for) until I can afford Darkglass or Bassforge.

Edited by AxlBrutality

2 hours ago, AxlBrutality said:

Yea, I've heard a lot of really good stuff about Darkglass.  Just don't have the cash to drop on it right now...it's on the [very long] list. 😂

Duality was kinda just an impulse buy, since it was dirt cheap and I was curious.  Even if I'm still unimpressed with it after a while, I still have Revalver (pretty much the only thing I still use Revalver for) until I can afford Darkglass or Bassforge.

Gotcha - Check out their demo, in the meantime, just to figure out if is something to go after, someday.

Bob Bone

Just as an update to everyone; I got ahold of AA and let them know what was going on...they were super easy to work with and seem to be aware of some instability issues with the VST2 (sounds like they've had issues before), and they seem to know exactly where to look.  So there's that.

@Noel Borthwick figured you'd appreciate that, in light of recent events.  That's how you deal with customer service and tech support as a third party vendor.  Lol.

Edited by AxlBrutality
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1