Cool Water

Lynn Wilson

Hi everyone, here's a new song that has been giving me fits.  I finally made peace with this mix, but I could sure use an extra opinion or two.  It's called "Cool Water" and is at the top of the list.  As always, thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.

It can be found here: https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandid=1065571

Here's the link in Bandlab:  https://www.bandlab.com/lynn_wilson/cool-water-2a3574ee

Edited by Lynn
  • Like 3

This is a really cool tune - made me think a bit of Peter Gabriel - maybe that's because of your vocal.  I really liked the sound of your lead vocal - whatever fx you're using there - and there were some very nice BGVs in this. The mix sounds quite nice to my ears - the bass line is very clear. There's a lot going on in the mix, but it sounds like you've got it under control.

If I were you I wouldn't change the mix - it sounds professional - radio ready.

• Like 1

I agree with the reviews above; in spades!
But (oh boy, here it comes), if I'm producing, I want you to vary the melody here.
So hard to medicate alone
when you're sinking like a stone

I think the melody needs to descend on "stone".
(are we in D, so stone would be C st D o B ne; and the way you "riff" on it, maybe C D B A G A. And maybe I've said too much?)
Your song, your production, but that's what I would lobby for if I'm "behind the glass" on this one.

Tom

• Like 2

Great song, vocals and lyrics. Melody is catchy and interesting from beginning to end and the chord changes are wonderful, reminds me of Steely Dan. Love the use of synths and drums to drive things along and the musical interlude is sweet. I wish I could mix songs with half the clarity you have achieved here.

• Like 1

Hey, Lynn,

Wow!  This is a killer song and an absolutely stellar mix!😀

Really well written and arranged, excellent instrumental performances, and fantastic vocals and harmonies!

The production and effects on this were outstanding and really cool.  I know I always say this, but this song makes me think of a modernized Steve Miller vibe that could have fit nicely on the "Fly Like an Eagle" album.  And, I mean that as a very high compliment!😀

Fantastic stuff, Lynn, everything you post just keeps getting better and better!👍😀

Have a rockin' weekend, buddy!
Bob

• Like 2

Outstanding song Lynn!!!!!  I echo all of the kudos above  -- vocals are excellent, instrumentation is excellent, your vocals/harmonies and timing are equally excellent, the arrangement is excellent, and the mix is equally excellent.  Like the rest of your songs the lyrics are wonderful and get across a good point. 

The competition for best among your own song posts is really tight but I would rank this among your best.  In fact, I had to give this more than one listen. 

Would excellent be redundant here? 😄 

• Like 2

A+  
Lynn, this is definitely the best song I've heard from you.
The mix is so impressive - everything is clear and nothing dominates. If I had to critique anything, I'd say the vocal could be EQ'd down a bit.
Seems like you're developing a recognizable style, eg the beep booping synths in the background.
Keep it up my friend.

• Like 1

Daryl, thanks a ton, mate!  I've learned a lot from listening to you.

Steve, it's very gratifying to hear this from you.  I'm just trying to keep up.

David, that's a very nice thing to say.  I always look forward to hearing from you and your music, as well!

Douglas, thanks for your kind words!  I'll take your advice.

Gary, thank you for your comments.  Your work has raised the bar here for all of us.

Tom, thanks for taking the time to hear this in depth.  Your idea is a good one because the line, "sinking like a stone", begs to go down there.  Therefor, I'm putting this on the backburner to look at later.  Wow

Kevin, good to hear from you.  Thanks for your comments, and don't worry, your song is terrific and very well produced.

Wookie, thank you, mate, and I hope you're getting better.

Bob!  I guess I kinda like Steve Miller, and it's quite a nice compliment to be compared to him.  Have a rockin' good weekend, yourself, my friend!

Freddy, it's hard to keep up with you, but I'm trying.  Thanks for all your kind words and inspiration over the years!

Bjorn, your words always mean a lot to me.  If I've gotten better, it's because of all the help from each of you over time.

• Thanks 2

Well I thought "Bruce Cockburn"  . . .

Way cool, Lynn. It's a pretty stellar mix and the many parts don't put a foot wrong anywhere. This is one sweet arrangement. 

I happened to have my system up loud on some decent monitors,  and at big volume I was hearing ssssibilance on the vocal. I don't know if you could pick up Oaksound's Soothe plugin, it's an absolute marvel as a de-esser.  Or, perhaps my monitors are just a bit more ess-ier than yours? Did you listen to a cranked up version on your end? I also got just a touch of crunchiness on that rhythm guitar in the choruses but I loved the chorusey effect on it.

That bass you have so perfectly owns its spectrum, yet I can still hear the kick just fine. Did you duck them? Really awesome there.

If Rush were from South Africa.  !!! Great stuff. The depth of field is wonderful, especially with all of the parts just cooking along.

Might be my favorite of yours, so far.

cheers,

-Tom

• Like 2

Kakku, as always, I welcome your input and kind words!

Jimmy, welcome to the forum and thanks for the compliment!

Paul, it's good to hear from you, and thanks for your time and comments!  I love your new song and steady growth.

Tom, I'm very happy you like this!  As for the sibilance, I'm using KRK Rokit 8's which may not be as responsive as your monitors, plus I have a slight case of tinnitus which may prevent me from hearing the essiness.  This is why I come to this forum; to borrow your ears.  I'll listen carefully for this on the next pass.