Anyone with a copy of Cakewalk 2019.01

tecknot

Good morning all,

My laptop went belly-up and now I don't have any means to access CbB updates.  I am borrowing a machine to access the net, but I cannot download and install BandLab Assistant for the updates.  Does anyone have a copy of the latest update I may utilize?  I would greatly appreciate it.

BandLab, please make updates available as direct downloads the way Cakewalk has always made them available to users and please make older updates available to users also.  That way I can access updates without having to download and install additional software and/or wait until I replace my laptop and have personal internet access.

Thanks in advance

Kind regards,

tecknot

Edited by tecknot

Anyone with a copy of the current release of CbB 2019.01, can you please send me a copy?  I don't have access to BandLab Assistant due to my dead laptop.  I don't have any other means to access the net except to borrow a little time from a friend. 

I would be forever grateful.  Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

tecknot

4 hours ago, Karhide said:

Unless you install Bandlab Assistant you will not be able to authorise Cakewalk so sending the install will not help you. 

The best thing to do is install Bandlab Assistant and let it handle the install and authorisation. 

1 hour ago, Chuck E Baby said:

Im not sure I really understand here. as Karhide just mentioned, you wont be able to use it unless you authorize it first.

So just download the Bandlab asst and that will allow you to install 2019/01

I have CbB already on my DAW which is not connected to a network/internet, so I don't need to authorize the new update install.  My problem is that I don't have access to the internet now that my laptop is dust.  At this moment, I am using a PC at someone else's house for intermittent web access.  So, this is not my machine and I don't have permission to install programs on it.

Can either of you do me a solid and send me a copy of 2019.01?  I am not nefarious, this is a real situation until I can purchase a new laptop, but that will take a little time.  I don't understand any hesitation to help me with my request.  Chuck E., you've always been very helpful without any prejudice, can you help me out?  I would sincerely appreciate it.  I just don't want to miss any updates in the event it would be the last workable update for me.  Please take great consideration to my circumstances.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

tecknot

1 hour ago, tecknot said:

I have CbB already on my DAW which is not connected to a network/internet, so I don't need to authorize the new update install.  My problem is that I don't have access to the internet now that my laptop is dust.  At this moment, I am using a PC at someone else's house for intermittent web access.  So, this is not my machine and I don't have permission to install programs on it.

Can either of you do me a solid and send me a copy of 2019.01?  I am not nefarious, this is a real situation until I can purchase a new laptop, but that will take a little time.  I don't understand any hesitation to help me with my request.  Chuck E., you've always been very helpful without any prejudice, can you help me out?  I would sincerely appreciate it.  I just don't want to miss any updates in the event it would be the last workable update for me.  Please take great consideration to my circumstances.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

tecknot

The way CbB works means that you need the Bandlab Assistant for it to work and authorise else you won't be able to do much.   The machine does not need to be permanently attached to the internet but it needs to be able to call home every now and again.  

I have the latest version installed but I did not keep the install files because of disk space. 

6 hours ago, tecknot said:

Chuck E., you've always been very helpful without any prejudice, can you help me out? 

I don't save the installers, I haven't since Bandlab took over. Its not like the Sonar days where the installer was saved to Command center. Now you must save the install before completing the installation process. I haven't had any issues with new releases so ive never needed to save any installers.

I was simply trying to save you the hassle of wasting your time. Band lab calls home with each new release. Trying to install 2019.01 will require Bandlab 5.0.3

This topic,

explains why the BandLab Assistant must go online and hit the server every now and then and the Cakewalk product reverts to demo mode.

As I understand what is said  BandLab wants BandLab Assistant to call phone periodically so users can easily tell when an update is available.  The Cakewalk product is internally time limited so BandLab can retain control over the product.  The thought is having a time limited program discourages malcontents from modifying the distribution file with malware or ransom ware while also discouraging third party content providers from offering the distribution file.  If the product is available from a single source it is easier to trust what you're receiving.

10 minutes ago, Rico Belled said:

Doesn't it worry anyone that perhaps one day you have a paying customer, your internet is down and you can't work?

R

The internet would have to be down a long time. The current call back period is ~6 months and updates reset the clock.

On 1/27/2019 at 12:59 PM, scook said:

The internet would have to be down a long time. The current call back period is ~6 months and updates reset the clock.

OK, that's good to know! I'm not one of those paranoid old guys that don't want to hook up their DAW to the internet (have plenty of extra machines!) but I guess it's important then to make sure you let your Cakewalk machine phone home once in a while!

Thank,

R

Now back to my original request...  Is anyone willing and able to send me a copy of latest update of CbB?  I would honestly appreciate it.

As for other replies suggesting that CbB cannot be installed offline, that is simply not true.  I have installed updates offline and, of course that being so, I was not logged onto BandLab or BandLab Assistant.  You only need BL Assist to download the updates, not to install.  (I am not talking about authorization which is moot.  I only want to have a copy of the latest update to keep my library of updates complete.  Most users are aware that a copy can be saved to a drive prior to completion of installation.)

Kind regards,

tecknot

On 1/27/2019 at 1:46 PM, Rico Belled said:

Doesn't it worry anyone that perhaps one day you have a paying customer, your internet is down and you can't work?

R

You'd be surprise some DAWs will not work unless you do offline authorization.  Samplitude is one of those.

3 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

You'd be surprise some DAWs will not work unless you do offline authorization.  Samplitude is one of those.

It's a TERRIBLE development! Remember when you owned something after you bought it? I fully blame Apple and its iTunes nonsense that everybody fell for...

R