How to re-record MIDI CC values only (leave notes alone)?

benko

Hey everyone,

Probably a pretty basic question but I can't seem to figure it out:

Let's say, I record a string performance by playing a few notes and moving CC1 (which in this case controls volume) simultaneously.

Next, I want to change the performance by re-recording the CC1 curves while listening to the aleardy recorded notes being played.

So, how can do this? Hitting "record" again doesn't really work, regardless of which recording mode is set in preferences.

Thanks!

benko

First, I think you'd want to get rid of the last CC1 events you recorded.  If you're trying to record CC1 (by moving a controller on a synth), I think you could just go Ctrl-Z to undo your last attempt.  Other ways would be to go into Event View, highlight just the CC1 events by using the filter (Edit->Select->By Filter) and deleting them (Ctrl-x).

If you're having the experience I had, where you can't hear or get the notes to play while you record CC1 events, there was the post below that solved it for me.  The post was about a drum track but the same principle applies.  I think you might want sound-on-sound set for this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From “https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/7779-adding-fills-to-existing-ad2-drum-track/”

Hi guys. I'm struggling figuring out how to hear the original TAKE LANE sound while recording the second TAKE LANE. For some reason, the main drum track does not play (muted) while I am trying to record the new take lane.

Any thoughts on how to fix this one?

This one puzzled me for a while too and I found a solution in another post shown below.  If you arm a particular take lane, when you start recording you won't hear anything playing from that track. If you want to hear the other take lane(s) play during recording a new take lane, just arm the track (not an individual take lane).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------