Sampler

As a disclaimer, we all know a lot of different things about DAW and music production. Since selling my Ensoniq and Emax samplers years ago I have not felt the need to use a sampler - until now.  Is there a cheap way around this without buying the complete NI or Halion, etc? I have made many hardware upgrades this year and way over budget.  (Leslie, New Piano Controller, Dynaudio speakers and more). What I would like to do basically is be able to take samples of my kicks, hats, snares I have recorded over the years (and other libraries) and have triggers for them so I can make loops. Would be great if I can tweak the tuning, etc. Is there a simple cheap way to do this?

Your feedback is much appreciated

Since you have Platinum - Session Drummer can play individual samples dropped on each drum pad or build sfz files to play multiple samples per pad. Dimension Pro and Rapture work in a similar way, drop samples in their elements and they are ready to play.

• Like 1

And the Native-Instruments Kontakt 6 was on sale - full version for $199, but I think that ended yesterday.  Anyways, they also offer a 'lite' collection of sounds for free, in a collection called Komplete Start.  It has subsets of sounds from several of their synths.

There is also separate free 'players', which are lite versions of their flagship products - there is a Kontakt 6 Player (the full version of Kontakt is their flagship sampler), a Reaktor 6 Player, and a Guitar Rig 5 Player, and they have some additional synths and effects that are also completely free.

Here is the link to their free stuff: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/catalog/free/

If memory serves, there are some libraries out on the web that work with the Kontakt 6 Player, that are free - don't quote me on this though, because I have used the full Kontakt for many many years, and only dimly recall possibly seeing some free libraries that indicated they would work with the free player.  In any case, their free stuff is, well, free, so you cannot really go wrong to check it out.  They obviously hope you fall in love with the software and sounds, and upgrade to the full version of their products - I have LONG considered Kontakt my absolutely go to plugin, and is in just about every single one of my projects, usually producing sounds for multiple instruments at a time.

EastWest Play is another big commercial sample engine, and there are literally thousands and thousands of instruments/sounds available for it, but I actually almost always found what I wanted within my pretty sizable set of Kontakt libraries (I own Komplete 12 Ultimate, and separately picked up almost all the additional libraries that if from a single bundle would match their Komplete 12 Collector's Edition).  Anyways, I had spent about $500 a year for the EastWest libraries, to get their Composer Cloud Plus or X or whatever their premier version of it was - that came with sounds all sampled at 48k x 24-bit, rather than their standard Composer Cloud - which was sampled at 44.1k and 16-bit.  I did not renew my subscription to the EastWest sounds, but perhaps you would like them.

I consider Kontakt to be rock-solid, and the best sampler on the market.  That TX16Wx is also mighty good - particularly for free.

Bob Bone

2 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

And the Native-Instruments Kontakt 6 was on sale - full version for $199, but I think that ended yesterday.  Anyways, they also offer a 'lite' collection of sounds for free, in a collection called Komplete Start.  It has subsets of sounds from several of their synths.

There is also separate free 'players', which are lite versions of their flagship products - there is a Kontakt 6 Player (the full version of Kontakt is their flagship sampler), a Reaktor 6 Player, and a Guitar Rig 5 Player, and they have some additional synths and effects that are also completely free.

Here is the link to their free stuff: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/catalog/free/

If memory serves, there are some libraries out on the web that work with the Kontakt 6 Player, that are free - don't quote me on this though, because I have used the full Kontakt for many many years, and only dimly recall possibly seeing some free libraries that indicated they would work with the free player.  In any case, their free stuff is, well, free, so you cannot really go wrong to check it out.  They obviously hope you fall in love with the software and sounds, and upgrade to the full version of their products - I have LONG considered Kontakt my absolutely go to plugin, and is in just about every single one of my projects, usually producing sounds for multiple instruments at a time.

EastWest Play is another big commercial sample engine, and there are literally thousands and thousands of instruments/sounds available for it, but I actually almost always found what I wanted within my pretty sizable set of Kontakt libraries (I own Komplete 12 Ultimate, and separately picked up almost all the additional libraries that if from a single bundle would match their Komplete 12 Collector's Edition).  Anyways, I had spent about $500 a year for the EastWest libraries, to get their Composer Cloud Plus or X or whatever their premier version of it was - that came with sounds all sampled at 48k x 24-bit, rather than their standard Composer Cloud - which was sampled at 44.1k and 16-bit.  I did not renew my subscription to the EastWest sounds, but perhaps you would like them.

I consider Kontakt to be rock-solid, and the best sampler on the market.  That TX16Wx is also mighty good - particularly for free.

Bob Bone

hey Bob. That is actually what prompted my post - the Black Friday sales. I was considering getting Kontakt 6 - but I don't need it. All I wanted was a way to take my drum hits and make a drum machine out of them. I own East west Play and have the Composer's Series - the bought version. And yes, I have various NI instruments, Scarbee's Rhodes/Wurlitzer/NI Organ - which are the individual instruments. Am going to go with Session Drummer and Sitala.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 5:32 PM, scook said:

Since you have Platinum - Session Drummer can play individual samples dropped on each drum pad or build sfz files to play multiple samples per pad.

I love Session Drummer for its ability to play and create my own drum-sets from samples 😊Session Drummer is so underrated when it comes to that ...

Ultra Beat Samples  sound Great when played in Session Drummer .

On 12/9/2019 at 5:48 PM, scook said:

For those that don't have a version of Session Drummer (which was bundled with quite a few releases of SONAR), Sitala is pretty good too. Looks like an updated beta was recently released.

I agree with you , Sitala , is also very good ...the newest updated version brings a lot more to the table ... overall it is a very good one in its own right and I use it a lot over here ..a couple of things in that Sitala video were new to me ..I had no idea the EQ worded the way it did for each pad ..

all the best,

Kenny