FabFilter ProQ3 (VST3) Reproducible issue in CbB

noynekker

Ran into a problem that crashed Cakewalk several times, and it appears to be reproducible.

Steps:

Split stereo clip

Open Clip FX Rack

Insert FabFilter ProQ3 (VST3) plugin

Crash Cakewalk

- - - -> Incidentally, if I insert Ozone 9 EQ (VST3) is works as expected . . . I can EQ the clip.

I just tried using a new project udinh 2019-11 build 63 on Win10 1903

1) adding a stereo clip

2) Bounce to Tracks using the track containing the stereo clip as the source, format Split Mono

3) I tried a adding VST3 ProQ3 v3.1.1.49 to one of the mono clips using the Clip FX rack plug-in menu and dropping the plug-in from the browser

CbB did not crash.

May want to follow directions below to capture more info

7 minutes ago, scook said:

I just tried using a new project udinh 2019-11 build 63 on Win10 1903

1) adding a stereo clip

2) Bounce to Tracks using the track containing the stereo clip as the source, format Split Mono

3) I tried a adding VST3 ProQ3 v3.1.1.49 to one of the mono clips using the Clip FX rack plug-in menu and dropping the plug-in from the browser

CbB did not crash.

May want to follow directions below to capture more info

Scook . . . tried dragging FFProQ3 to a clip from the browser, immediate crash.

Not sure I understand your step 2) . . . can you not add Clip FX to stereo tracks, and why does OZ9 EQ work ?

Sure one can add clip FX to a stereo track, I split the clip base on

36 minutes ago, noynekker said:

Ran into a problem that crashed Cakewalk several times, and it appears to be reproducible.

Steps:

Split stereo clip

I must have misunderstood this step

16 minutes ago, scook said:

Sure one can add clip FX to a stereo track, I split the clip base on

I must have misunderstood this step

What exactly does "Split stereo clip" mean?

I'm mastering a stereo clip created and exported from Cakewalk. It's a new project with stereo track inserted.

Only plugins are mastering plugins (Ozone 9) on Master bus, pretty standard.

Edited by noynekker

• 4 weeks later...

Originally, I reported this issue of completely crashing Cakewalk when inserting FabFilter Pro Q3 (VST3) into an FX Clip Rack. At least, that's where I first noticed it.

So, today I'm now running the latest Cakewalk by BandLab version, and notice it is much worse than I thought. I can't actually use FabFilter ProQ3 in Cakewalk at all.

Here's the new steps to reproduce:

1) Start new cakewalk project

2) insert FabFilter ProQ3 into the FX Rack (or onto Master Bus)

3) complete and instant cakewalk crash.

I've already sent the dump file to Cakewalk to investigate, and posted on the FabFilter forum . . . but, would love to hear if anyone else has FabFilter ProQ3 working in Cakewalk by BandLab ? (Incidentally, it does work in my Cubase, and I have tried reinstalling the FabFilter Pro Q3 plugin a few times)

• noynekker changed the title to FabFilter ProQ3 (VST3) Reproducible issue in CbB
29 minutes ago, Fwrend said:

FYI, no crash here  inserting Q3 to FX on empty project and to a track with a stereo file loaded with or without Ozone9 on Master Bus.

Surface Pro 4
Win 10.0.18363
CnB 2019.12
Q3 3.11

Thanks for responding  Fwrend . . . exactly what  I was looking for, so must be something on my system / install .  .  . but can’t find it yet !

You may also want to try increasing your ASIO audio buffer size.  Cbb and Cubase drive the ASIO engines very differently, it's possible if your using very low latency settings it might be causing the crash in Cbb and Cubase (which handles ASIO problems slightly better) wouldn't.

The crash dump though is what you really need to have analyzed, it may offer more clues about why it's crashing for you and not for other users.

On 1/2/2020 at 5:08 AM, Matthew Sorrels said:

You may also want to try increasing your ASIO audio buffer size.  Cbb and Cubase drive the ASIO engines very differently, it's possible if your using very low latency settings it might be causing the crash in Cbb and Cubase (which handles ASIO problems slightly better) wouldn't.

The crash dump though is what you really need to have analyzed, it may offer more clues about why it's crashing for you and not for other users.

Matthew Sorrels . . . thanks for responding . . . I've updated my graphics card drivers, as per your suggestion (was only 1 version behind), and I've tried inserting FabFilter ProQ3 (VST3) using higher and lower ASIO buffer sizes on an otherwise empty new project, still crashes instantly. Cakewalk tech support responded to try to insert the VST2 version of this plugin. So, I enabled the VST2 version and it does work OK without the crashfest. Yeah! workaround.

I'm hoping this gets looked at in a future Cakewalk by BandLab update . . . because . . . I want my, I want my, V  S  T  3 ( sing this with opening melody of 90's tune Money For Nothing by Dire Straits)