Stereo/Mono for vocals

Astral

Hey there

I got the files from a vocalist with the vocal track. His vocal track has 2 lines as if it was stereo. He bounced it from Logic on Mac. When I record my vocals, they are always single line! He says- this is how his vocals always come out and it is mono track. I am concerned that he sets it up some kind of wrong way and that he has duplicated L+R mono signals on one track. Otherwise- how do you explain stereo-looking track? (also lines identical).

When I set up my Mic, I have options: Motu 1, Motu 2 or Motu 1+2. If I select stereo track, I would have wavy looking drawing on one side and straight line on  another side of this track. If I select Motu 1, I get one wavy line in the middle- never 2 lines. I can make them to be 2 lines if I apply some kind of Mono to Stereo effect. But he says- there is no effects. Why 2 lines on one track? Thank you. 

Edited by Astral

Delete one track? What do you mean by this? 

The vocal was recorded on stereo track- what do you mean? So- is it duplicated signal? How would anyone record MONO signal on STEREO track, unless you have 2 signals? Like if there were 2 microphones connected, then you would have 2 inputs. Like I said- if in Sonar I select stereo input "Motu 1 + Motu 2, I would get one flat line, because I only have Mic connected to Motu 1. But he works on his studio so I dont know what he got connected. Definitely not 2 Mics. So how can you even record Mono to Stereo track? Thank you. 

Bounce to Tracks with

Source Category set to the track containing the clip(s) to split

and

Channel Format set to Split Mono

will split the stereo track and the clips in the track into two Mono track with mono clips.

Delete one mono track and center the pan in the other for a single mono track panned to the middle.

Thank you for recommendation. Still trying to figure out what that is and how it happens. When I click on Mono/Stereo Icon on my track and it changes from Stereo to Mono- there is a difference in sound. Very small. When on stereo, I dont hear duplication (it does not sound tense like if you copy mono vocal track and play 2 at the same time). But when I change from Stereo to Mono, something disappears- it sounds like there was some very small effect on the track. It is barely audible. I am afraid- if I just split his track, I will be missing something that went to another half of the track- like if there was some kind of stereo effect and the tracks not identical.  

1 hour ago, Astral said:

Thank you for recommendation. Still trying to figure out what that is and how it happens. When I click on Mono/Stereo Icon on my track and it changes from Stereo to Mono- there is a difference in sound. Very small. When on stereo, I dont hear duplication (it does not sound tense like if you copy mono vocal track and play 2 at the same time). But when I change from Stereo to Mono, something disappears- it sounds like there was some very small effect on the track. It is barely audible. I am afraid- if I just split his track, I will be missing something that went to another half of the track- like if there was some kind of stereo effect and the tracks not identical.  

Before you work on the track, copy it first to have a backup in case you don't like the result or want to start over.  I still prefer my method of right clicking on the clip(s) and choosing convert to mono from the menu. It saves time, and to my ear, doesn't change the sound.  Mainly, make a backup copy before editing.

Thank you for reply. My understanding that if you convert anything to mono, you still have both signals, each going tp left and right, so it will duplicate the signal. Can somebody help me express what I feel/hear, please? Thank you. 

3 hours ago, Craig Anderton said:

There is nothing wrong with dual mono (i.e., the same material in the left and right tracks). It will actually make life easier for you with true stereo effects.

I agree that it can be useful. I think, though, it would still help to know if they really are identical - hence my suggesting the phase-inversion test.  Vlada has indicated hearing a difference, whether imagined or real, so it seems prudent to know, one way or the other.

Bob Bone