PRV - the virtual keyboard

K. M. Joshi

I think the current PRV virtual keyboard we have in CbB needs some additional features:

1. Animation to show the PRV virtual keyboard playing when we input notes (midi/mouse) and when the track is playing. Most other DAWs have this feature, and I think it is useful as well.

2. The PRV virtual keyboard should change velocity according to the position of mouse clicks, instead of just sticking to the velocity value we drew the last time.

Thank you!

Edited by Kaustub M. Joshi

Are you talking about the Keyboard on the PRV or the keyboard that you can play?

I am assuming you mean the one that you can actually play. I use this on my Surface Pro and it works extremely well. Little to no lag at all which makes it useful. I also see the key I press gets darker when I press it, so I have visual feedback as I am playing.

However I do not find it desirable to have the key playback when my trk plays back. Nor do I want anything to affect the way the keyboard works now. For us using it on small systems, it's works! That's all we care about. : )

Edited by Grem

He's talking about the Virtual Controller that you select as an input to a MIDI or Instrument track.  As such, there would be no way for it to animate according to the output of the track on playback. But position sensitive velocity output should be possible to implement.

The piano keyboard mode of the virtual controller already has position sensitive velocity. I just tested it by recording a small clip clicking on a key when the mouse moving gradually from the bottom of a key to the top. the bottom of the key sends 127 the top of the key sends 97.

6 hours ago, David Baay said:

He's talking about the Virtual Controller that you select as an input to a MIDI or Instrument track. 

No, I'm talking about the vertical virtual keyboard in the piano roll view. That keyboard gives almost no visual feedback (when you play back and when you play notes on a real midi keyboard or when you draw notes with a mouse) and has no position-based velocity sensitivity.

On 1/22/2019 at 6:42 AM, Kaustub M. Joshi said:

1. Animation to show the PRV virtual keyboard playing when we input notes (midi/mouse) and when the track is playing. Most other DAWs have this feature, and I think it is useful as well.

+1 for highlighting the keys on playback/midi input, that can make it a bit more easy to find yourself quickly when working in prv

On 1/22/2019 at 6:42 AM, Kaustub M. Joshi said:

2. The PRV virtual keyboard should change velocity according to the position of mouse clicks, instead of just sticking to the velocity value we drew the last time.

+1 no reason to see any drawbacks of this feature, could be quite helpful sometimes indeed