Unable to open audio playback device, really old Cakewalk project

Gary Worsham

I've had Cakewalk and SONAR since the 90's.  I think I did this one project in SONAR X2.  It uses Dreamstation DXi and things like Cakewalk fxFlanger and oh Tassman, who remembers that one?  I think that was the first SONAR version.  Anyway, long gone from this computer.  I sort of tried to think about saving the VSTs and DXis etc. but Cakewalk did a pretty good job of hiding them so some seem really permanently lost.

I open up this old file that has all these references and I can see the content, but when I try to play it, I get the dialog attached below.  I don't think there's anything wrong with the audio interface as it is properly selected and other projects work fine.  I disabled all the missing plugin references but didn't go as far as to remove them yet.

Anyone know what I should do?

Obviously I should replace the plugins with their equivalents, or forget about them.  Just wondered if them even being there would have this symptom.

ashleys-audio-errors.PNG

ashleys-missing-plugins.PNG

Edited by Gary Worsham

Is this 64bit SONAR Professional? If so, the first thing to do is install the 32bit version. The project was made with a 32bit version of SONAR and the Cakewalk 32bit DX plug-ins cannot load in a 64bit DAW.

WRT the playback device error, it may help to know the audio interface being used.

The message typically means that the sample rate of the project file is not supported by your audio interface. Are you running ASIO or WASAPI mode?
The current project sample rate is displayed under the now time. It may be as simple as switching your audio device to that sample rate in case the interface has to be externally switched.

• Thanks 1

Sorry, it's a Behringer XR18.  I looked all over their specs last night and couldn't find any info on supported sample rates.  Thanks for the other suggestions, I'll try those and report back.  I generally use ASIO.

OK, silly me, I found the XR-18 control panel to set the sample rate.

I guess I was under the mistaken assumption that SONAR would change that for me.

cakewalk-audio.PNG

XR-18-sample-rate.PNG

Edited by Gary Worsham
  • Great Idea 1

19 hours ago, Gary Worsham said:

I guess I was under the mistaken assumption that SONAR would change that for me.

Most ASIO devices will auto switch to the sample rate requested by the host when you load the project, but some require you to explicitly change it via the ASIO driver control panel or via a physical switch on the audio interface.
Also note that changing the value in preferences only changes the sample rate for NEW projects. i.e if you load an existing project that is already locked to a certain sample rate, changing the default sample rate value will only affect NEW projects not the currently loaded one.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

longtime cakewalk SONAR user here currently running SONAR X3 and i'm having a similar issue with unable to open audio record device; device may no support the current project's audio format or may be in use"; after closing that prompt i get another prompt stating 'the above audio/midi device was disconnected from your system. one major point of confusion with this issue is originally this happened with a full audio track session, but of late i'm getting this message with sessions containing midi information ONLY. i saw above where someone asked was this was this 32 or 64 bit version of X3, and i'm not sure but why would this be relevant with only midi data? i have a lot of songs that didn't/haven't made it to the audio recording stage and this is proving quite problematic; using ASIO with an RME UCX FIREFACE with firewire. i also run reason and haven't seemed to have any midi issues with it. any insight is greatly appreciated

keith

^ sounds like you have 2 problems .. one is solved by Noels post (sample rate selection) .. the other sounds like it might be  either a bad lead or a bad socket -> "the above audio/midi device was disconnected from your system" <- when you disconnect a device from windows,its possible windows will see it as another device,therefore when you plug it back in it can have a slightly different name - so,that means going back into prefs and selecting the *new named device* .. or reboot

bear in mind - *if your device has a new name,then setting up in prefs will only last for this active windows session,when you reboot the device will be back to its default settings,but cake will remember the last settings - so back to prefs *again* to re-setup the device*

Edited by Rooooooo
ficko - removed usb :D