A thanks to all

jude77

Hello Guys,

I've been a member of this forum for a long time (I think about 15 years), and I just wanted to commend, and thank you guys, for making this such a great place.  I drop in most everyday, and always find people trying to solve problems and offer helpful advice.  It's really refreshing compared to other internet forums I've visited.  All of the others should come here and take a lesson.  Anyway, thanks guys for your spirit, I appreciate you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m itinerant these days but I used to be a very frequent participant in the old Sonar forums and I am a seasoned Sonar user. 
I got miffed by a specific situation during the  transition to CbB and never learned to get past it. 

Apart from a recent foray into the “upstairs”, I generally make the occasional contribution to the more humerus threads in the Coffee House. 

It’s pleasant enough here and no one goes out of their way to be nasty. Besides that when I was deathly ill  earlier this year, I received a lot of great support and encouragement from everyone here.  The best part without question. 

Group hug time. C’mon you know you want to. C’mon now. Get your group hugs here. 

• Like 3

@InstrEd

To be honest, my CbB knowledge is so far behind the curve these days. When I’ve been upstairs recently I found myself unqualified to offer any real technical help.
I vowed I wasn’t going to get so involved again, that I would ever be effected adversely by the going’s on in a forum. Moving past, putting things behind me or overlooking things doesn’t seem to work for me like it used to so I’d rather just keep my interaction level where it is now.

Edited by Michael Vogel ( MUDGEL)
  • Thanks 1

I have Cakewalk, but still rarely use it, so I'm not a lot of help upstairs. (Don't go in the attic!)

I did help someone who was looking to emulate sax vibrato with MIDI, because the emulation techniques apply to all synths. (Running a standard LFO won't work.)

Emulating acoustic instruments is an art and a science and I've been doing it a long time. I've learned a lot from others, discovered a lot on my own, and I'm happy to share what I know.

I don't do much audio recording, mostly it's MIDI for the backing tracks for my duo The Sophisticats and my Band-in-a-Box aftermarket styles and song business Norton Music

I use Master Tracks Pro. It's MIDI only and because of that, the menus aren't cluttered with audio options. All the functions are available from the menu bar and a single click. No sub-menus and sub-sub menus to wait for. It keeps my hands on the musical instruments more and the computer less.

The problem with MTPro is that it doesn't work on Win10 very well. The app was abandoned long ago. So until my XP computer dies I'll be using MTPro and then transferring the results to modern computers.

When I do need audio, I play the MIDI files out of my XP using a bank of a half dozen or more synth module fed into a mixer. I feed the audio output of the mixer into an Audio->USB interface and record on a newer computer. I'll use Audacity, Power Tracks Pro Audio, or Cakewalk for that.

Sadly, Passport, the company that created MTPro was bought by Microsoft for their technology. Microsoft used what they bought to make Power Point better and simply abandoned the MIDI Music apps. GVox bought them and introduced tons of bugs. But GVox was mostly interested in another Passport product, the notation editor Encore. Years later one of the GVox owners bought Master Tracks Pro, named his new company Passport, and tried to revitalize MTPro. He was underfunded and never released a new bug-free version. So I use the old version on my XP computer. The XP doesn't go on-line anymore and all non-essential apps have been deleted.

Time and technology marches on. Win10 is a much better OS than XP was, but unfortunately, MTPro and some other apps were just left in the dust bin of progress.

Notes