Coffee/Espresso Machines

Mesh

Thanks Craig, I found this on Amazon it looks pretty good: https://www.amazon.com/Behmor-5393-Brazen-Coffee-Stainless/dp/B00PKEYY8U

Capacity: 1.2 liter, 40oz, 8 5oz cups. Temperature control: set brewing temperature from 190f-210f (88c-99c)

Note-scalding may occur if the cover is opened during the brewing cycles. Be careful around the steam. Product height is 15.25 inches

Programmable brew start time: wake up to Coffee with timed brew setting

Ideal Coffee extraction: Coffee grounds are fully saturated due to oversized showerhead and pulsing of the water flow.

Scaa certified for brewing quality based on specialty Coffee industry standards (specialty Coffee Association of America)

On 12/15/2019 at 12:16 AM, Craig Fowler said:

I also am a big fan of the aeropress, though I usually use a Hario dripper because my wife prefers it. The machine I've got in my office is the Behmor Brazen+, which is very good. It's designed to be an automated pourer-overer if memory serves, and has certification for things like brewing at the correct temperatures, etc. I'm not sure how easily available they are at the moment, but I'd buy one again.

https://www.wholelattelove.com/products/behmor-brazen-plus-coffeemaker

'Bought our Espresso machine and grinder from that store and dropped close to a grand with all the accessory tools and some beans 5 years ago.

For those who don't know, there's no comparison between an Americano and drip coffee.  We have a Mr. Coffee too (ahh, Black & Decker now), and when lazy it gets used.

I make the wife an Americano every morning she goes to work and it takes about 20 minutes.  She found a great Italian roast bean (Allegro) that is really first rate.  She picks up a bag at Whole Foods.

The recipe:
Americano - fill a 16 oz. mug (or thermos) with 7 oz. of espresso and then add 9 oz. of boiling water.   An Americano is a diluted espresso, but it is way better than drip coffee.

We both like cream, and sometimes I like to add butterscotch schnapps, and also sometimes add some Grand Marnier, too. (Grand Marnier - made from a blend of Cognac brandy, distilled essence of bitter orange, and sugar).

I don't make the frothed milk for lattes  that often, but that can be good, too.

Yum.  This is causing me to go turn all the equipment on now.  lol

Edited by Toddskins

Toddskins, you have a good system down.

I used my Espresso machine this morning. Over in Italy they are accustomed to cups the size of doll house cups. A basic espresso is 4oz.? 

I have to set my machine for maximum which is 8oz. and make two to get enough to drink :)  

I like the pour over contraption. 

During the week I'm lucky to have 25 minutes from rise time to leaving. Just not enough time to do anything other than put something on a timer or a machine that makes  coffee or espresso fast.

When mixing in the studio I have to lay off the coffee if it's in the evening and I'm trying to come up with anything musical. Strictly mixing is another story.  A cup in the morning and maybe one more mid day. If I get time in the studio I try to stay alert but not amped up. 

19 hours ago, InstrEd said:

Mesh you're going from one extreme to the other 😆

There are just soooo many options and getting a very good cup is at the top of my list. I might have to get a few different ones....the Bohmer Brazen and possibly another AeroPress (or that simple strainer thingy). The quest continues... :)

15 hours ago, Starise said:

Toddskins, you have a good system down.

I used my Espresso machine this morning. Over in Italy they are accustomed to cups the size of doll house cups. A basic espresso is 4oz.? 

I have to set my machine for maximum which is 8oz. and make two to get enough to drink :)  

I like the pour over contraption. 

During the week I'm lucky to have 25 minutes from rise time to leaving. Just not enough time to do anything other than put something on a timer or a machine that makes  coffee or espresso fast.

When mixing in the studio I have to lay off the coffee if it's in the evening and I'm trying to come up with anything musical. Strictly mixing is another story.  A cup in the morning and maybe one more mid day. If I get time in the studio I try to stay alert but not amped up. 

Those tiny cups!  Yeah, I don't get it at all.  And if you ever go to a Dim Sum (one style of chinese restaurant) they serve hot tea in small cups, too.  

I've often (I'm sure there are thousands of people who) wondered how to invent a coffee mug for restaurants, that would allow the patron's coffee to remain hot at their table.  Lids, cup warmers, etc.  Most places don't put the pot of coffee on the table, i.e. IHOP, whose coffee is pretty horrible.  After my second or third cup of coffee at a restaurant, I start to slow down and the coffee starts to cool in the cup.  Yuck.  I make a habit of asking for an empty plastic soda cup to pour my cold coffee into.  Adding hot coffee to warm/cool coffee is awful.  And if they pour coffee that is warm, I ask them to make a new pot.

I tip well as a regular where I go, so they generally don't mind me.  I hope.  :P

I like my coffee very hot.  Normal hot is not good enough.  Which is why I add boiling water when making the Americano.

Edited by Toddskins

12 hours ago, Toddskins said:

Those tiny cups!  Yeah, I don't get it at all.  And if you ever go to a Dim Sum (one style of chinese restaurant) they serve hot tea in small cups, too.  

I've often (I'm sure there are thousands of people who) wondered how to invent a coffee mug for restaurants, that would allow the patron's coffee to remain hot at their table.  Lids, cup warmers, etc.  Most places don't put the pot of coffee on the table, i.e. IHOP, whose coffee is pretty horrible.  After my second or third cup of coffee at a restaurant, I start to slow down and the coffee starts to cool in the cup.  Yuck.  I make a habit of asking for an empty plastic soda cup to pour my cold coffee into.  Adding hot coffee to warm/cool coffee is awful.  And if they pour coffee that is warm, I ask them to make a new pot.

I tip well as a regular where I go, so they generally don't mind me.  I hope.  :P

I like my coffee very hot.  Normal hot is not good enough.  Which is why I add boiling water when making the Americano.

I have liked the restaurants that leave a whole carafe. I often empty it. No need to wait on the waitress to come back around.  Lately if it's in the evening I'm more likely to go for a glass of wine....but there's always that back and forth going on in my mind, like if I'm going into the studio or practicing my instrument after dinner should I go for the wine?  The answer is mostly no if I need to practice.

I'm more flexible if it's only mixing. If I was already in the studio before we went, anything goes and I might go for a second glass of wine, then I get that "look" from my wife because A. I might get tipsy and B. Wine served at restaurants by the glass is expensive. If the wine is REALLY good I might take the second glass and try to tolerate the wife stare. The last really good wine I had was 7 moons. They served it at room temp which seemed to make it taste better. Coffee, like wine, demands some self control LOL.

I'm like a heroin addict with coffee. I like the good stuff. I look for and buy the good stuff, but in a pinch I'll drink almost anything black that says "coffee".

I have been known to drink some pretty disgusting coffee if it was all I had.  The absolute worst I have drank....as in, that was more than kinda dumb, is that dry instant stuff they call coffee. I'm not sure it really is coffee, sort of like imitation butter. They should call it, " Almost Coffee".:P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Toddskins said:

7 moons, eh?  I'm looking at their website now.  Apparently they don't get distribution out to the midwest, neither stores nor restaurants.

7 varieties of grapes, sounds intriguing.    How expensive is a bottle?

I can pick up a bottle for under 12.00 US. Ships from Ca. I'm surprised you can't get it in the midwest.

Just to be clear I am not a trusted source of info on wine.  It was the offered "house wine" and I tried it. I tend toward the reds more than anything else.   FYI, doesn't taste as good after a week. Could probably be said for any wine. Sadly I have a half bottle that's stale. Someone else mentioned Apothic Red, so I tried it. Not bad either.

• 1 year later...
On 12/16/2019 at 11:52 PM, Mesh said:

Thanks Craig, I found this on Amazon it looks pretty good: https://www.amazon.com/Behmor-5393-Brazen-Coffee-Stainless/dp/B00PKEYY8U

Capacity: 1.2 liter, 40oz, 8 5oz cups. Temperature control: set brewing temperature from 190f-210f (88c-99c)

Note-scalding may occur if the cover is opened during the brewing cycles. Be careful around the steam. Product height is 15.25 inches

Programmable brew start time: wake up to Coffee with timed brew setting

Ideal Coffee extraction: Coffee grounds are fully saturated due to oversized showerhead and pulsing of the water flow.

Scaa certified for brewing quality based on specialty Coffee industry standards (specialty Coffee Association of America)

Great choice! I consider buying it. How is it in use? Any issues? 

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Fleer said:

Call me a coffee simpleton. I just fill my 20 year old Nespresso machine with cheap Starbucks pads. I’m liking Blonde best. Go figure. 

Okay,  I called you that but you didn't answer!