8DIO Christmas Sales

ZincT

7 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I don't have Insolidus, but to be honest I've found Lacrimosa pretty disappointing

I've got Insolidus and quite like it. It takes a while to load and it's a little CPU intensive, so I had to write-and-bounce. As far as I can tell, the syllable timings are fixed, but you can do multipart legato with it. Also it sounds best when washed with reverb, but it can sound really good IMO; I used it on my latest tune Wishing on a Falling Star. YMMV

5 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Every time I load Lacrimosa up I think to myself, there is a bigger more pro package of this (Emperium in the V8P program) that I didn't want to spend the money on and I see it like I'm driving the lite version.

I could be misunderstanding, but I think Emperium is a bundle of two choirs: the Emperium Titan Choir (what you get in Lacrimosa), and a smaller Destiny Chamber Choir. From the Emperium description:

The Titan Choir consists of 70 Basses, 60 Tenors, 40 Altos and 30 Sopranos

and from Lacrimoso:

The Lacrimosa Choir consists of 70 Basses, 60 Tenors, 40 Altos and 30 Sopranos

Emperium Titan and Lacrimosa are both from the same recording session.  The Destiny choir is another one that makes up the Emperium bundle.  It was discounted a lot during black Friday, but still way too much for what it offered.

It's not clear how much better the Emperium Titan is over Lacrimosa.  It looks like it has more mics and some sort of legato difference.  But the secret nature of the V8P products make it kind of hard to really tell what is what.  I've never been a fan of lite products as a rule.  I understand their place but that doesn't mean it makes me happy to use the toy version of anything, ever. 

In this case I think 8Dio is kind of playing people.  The media composer crowd loves the idea of "rare" instrument libraries.  I'm not exactly sure why, but it has a long history.  And since they are the ones that are actually willing to buy really overpriced sample libraries, it's not surprising they have catered to them.  Spitfire used to do the same with their bespoke libraries.  Doesn't mean the products are reasonably priced though.

This Christmas Flash Sale and the Black Friday Sale this year is really making me poor. The thing I am secretly hoping for and being afraid of is the Silka choir appearing in the Flash Sale, but it doesn't look like. Else I have will have to donate blood to buy food the next month.

Edited by Wa Do
  • Like 1