Hybrid Tools NEO
Lacrimosa
1990 Studio Grand Piano
CAGE Brass Edition
The New Acoustic Grand Ensembles Bundle
All CAGE Bundle
Symphonic Shadows
All Case Bundle

Those are already in my updated list on page 1 based on the current banner. They were there before anyway but in a different order.

That sonic adventure page has a date of 2nd December and doesn't have a day number associated with each image. The only one I'm missing (tomorrow's) is not included. The 1990 Studio Piano is one that has been removed on the banner page.  The banner page was updated last night.

Which one is correct? Anyone's guess and the banner page is likely to be updated again tonight.

I think someone at 8DIO is looking here and having a laugh at my expense 😂 I would if I were them ;)

Edited by ZincT
  • Thanks 1

so the new deal is.....(drum roll)

1990 Studio Grand and Prepared Piano Bundle for $98

https://8dio.com/instrument/1990-studio-grand-and-prepared-piano-bundle-for-kontakt-vst-au-aax/

currently the text on the home page says "vintage keyboard bundle free w/ spend of $148 or more" - but has a picture of Ostinato ?

IF it is't the vintage keyboard bundle then I'll just give my 2 word review of that .... "don't bother"......here's my slightly longer round up 

If  you have any other virtual versions of the keyboards in the bundle then you will never use the ones in this pack. 

• They are massive sample sets, 80gig in total
  • Take approx 7.5 hours to load, even off SSD (on the plus side you  have time to nip out for coffee whilst waiting)
  • Have limited functionality - they give you reverb but that's basically it
  • Clumsy GUI
  • High CPU usage - I get clicks and pops running at 32 samples on a very high end rig
  • Suspect velocity switching - the Rhodes is particularly bad IMO, the transition from mellow to 'bark'
  • Remarkably, they provide less presets than the original keyboard - probably the developers got bored of them too ?

A waste of 80gig of SSD - glad I didn't pay $298 (gasp!) 

ALSO - this needs the full version of Kontakt to run, so you probably already have better options on your hard drive, if you have Komplete then you definitely do. Basically there are a thousand better options, which you probably already own in fact just buy VC7.

If this is today's freebie then don't factor it in as a 'deal maker'

(disclaimer - this is just my opinion and YMMV - I'm posting this as a public service :)  - I have several 8Dio products so nothing against them as a company, in fact looking to buy more)

Edited by simon
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, simon said:

so the new deal is.....(drum roll)

1990 Studio Grand and Prepared Piano Bundle for $98

https://8dio.com/instrument/1990-studio-grand-and-prepared-piano-bundle-for-kontakt-vst-au-aax/

currently the text on the home page says "vintage keyboard bundle free w/ spend of $148 or more" - but has a picture of Ostinato ?

IF it is't the vintage keyboard bundle then I'll just give my 2 word review of that .... "don't bother"......here's my slightly longer round up 

If  you have any other virtual versions of the keyboards in the bundle then you will never use the ones in this pack. 

• They are massive sample sets, 80gig in total
  • Take approx 7.5 hours to load, even off SSD (on the plus side you  have time to nip out for coffee whilst waiting)
  • Have limited functionality - they give you reverb but that's basically it
  • Clumsy GUI
  • High CPU usage - I get clicks and pops running at 32 samples on a very high end rig
  • Suspect velocity switching - the Rhodes is particularly bad IMO, the transition from mellow to 'bark'
  • Remarkably, they provide less presets than the original keyboard - probably the developers got bored of them too ?

A waste of 80gig of SSD - glad I didn't pay $298 (gasp!) 

ALSO - this needs the full version of Kontakt to run, so you probably already have better options on your hard drive, if you have Komplete then you definitely do. Basically there are a thousand better options, which you probably already own in fact just buy VC7.

If this is today's freebie then don't factor it in as a 'deal maker'

(disclaimer - this is just my opinion and YMMV - I'm posting this as a public service :)  - I have several 8Dio products so nothing against them as a company, in fact looking to buy more)

Thanks simon. I have updated the first post in case anyone looks there.

The third banner on the 8DIO site page still says that Ostinato Strings is the free gift as per yesterday so I'm guessing it's a typo/error re the Vintage Keyboard Bundle which was the free gift up until Friday.

Thanks for the mini review of the Vintage Keys Bundle . I am glad I avoided it now!

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ZincT said:

Thanks for the mini review of the Vintage Keys Bundle . I am glad I avoided it now!

I'm probably being a little harsh ! - but definitely don't factor it in if you have any alternatives - the reality is it does sound ok (mostly)

I think Insolidus is the only one I'm interested in now - plus intimate studio strings possibly.  All depends on the price ;)

6 minutes ago, simon said:

I'm probably being a little harsh ! - but definitely don't factor it in if you have any alternatives - the reality is it does sound ok (mostly)

I think Insolidus is the only one I'm interested in now - plus intimate studio strings possibly.  All depends on the price ;)

I'm also looking at Insolidus vs Lacrimosa, the latter being approximately half the size of the former (compressed 39.98Gb vs .17.8Gb). 
I will be studying the videos for both to try and work out which is the better fit for me.

Just now, ZincT said:

I'm also looking at Insolidus vs Lacrimosa, the latter being approximately half the size of the former (compressed 39.98Gb vs .17.8Gb). 
I will be studying the videos for both to try and work out which is the better fit for me.

you've probably already seen this ?

https://8dio.com/2017/09/23/instrument-comparison-series-8dio-choirs/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ZincT said:

I'm also looking at Insolidus vs Lacrimosa

Cost/disk space aside, the deciding factor is probably what sound you're after: Insolidus is a smaller choir with a softer emotional sound; Lacrimosa is a larger choir, probably more suited to massively epic dramatic scores.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, antler said:

Cost/disk space aside, the deciding factor is probably what sound you're after: Insolidus is a smaller choir with a softer emotional sound; Lacrimosa is a larger choir, probably more suited to massively epic dramatic scores.

Thanks yes I think Lacrimosa is what I am looking for.

I tend to think first about hard drive (actually SSD) space as any library is going to have to earn it's keep especially if it's taking up loads of space. 

53 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I don't have Insolidus, but to be honest I've found Lacrimosa pretty disappointing.  Not sure I'm willing to roll the dice on yet another 8Dio choir.  Troels can make anything sound good, but actually getting something good out of it yourself is an exercise left to the reader.

Hmmm, that's interesting to know Matthew.  What did you find disappointing with Lacrimosa? Also, if it's going to be $198 like Insolidus I might be tempted to pass as I have other things I would rather spend that amount on!

I'm often left wondering how demos of certain products were achieved when it proves difficult to replicate them myself. I like it when companies, such as OTS, give you their demos as MIDI files so you can see what articulations etc. were used at which point to help achieve the same results as them.

9 minutes ago, John Bohlen said:

Actually, Lacrimosa was $98 during the Christmas sale. I got it on Dec. 18. They have a couple of sales every month. Just subscribe to their newsletter.

Yeah, I'll wait it out as I'm in no hurry.

• Like 1

Yeah if this were $98, it would be a different conversation.

Lacrimosa is kind of noisy.  The samples aren't as clean as I had hoped I guess.  It's hard to say but I found I'm always having to lower the expression and other dials to get rid of glitches when it blends between notes.  Like if you push it too loud/hard it doesn't blend right.  If you fiddle with it you can usually clean it up but it's annoying.  I also really dislike the old-style 8Dio interface on this.  Not that the new Century-style interface is much better.  Other smaller 8Dio vocal libraries aren't as bad.  But this giant choir isn't quite as nimble as I think I need it to be.

Of course it could just all be in my head.  Every time I load Lacrimosa up I think to myself, there is a bigger more pro package of this (Emperium in the V8P program) that I didn't want to spend the money on and I see it like I'm driving the lite version.  It's perhaps just a mental thing but it's why I've avoided buying Majestica too.

• Thanks 2