Tempo changes

dwf2008

Question

6 answers to this question

17 hours ago, dwf2008 said:

Say I start a new project and import an mp3 file to use as a model. How do I slow down the playback so I can learn the guitar parts? I tried adjusting the tempo in the transport section but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

I know I did this; I'd have to find the project (or the thread where it was discussed).  I seem to recall a specific thread** where someone wanted to be able to stretch/shrink  an audio file to make it fit a certain length. There might also be a method where audio is turned into a clip that has tempo.  If I tried that, I don't remember. Maybe someone else can explain that process.

UPDATE: See David Baay's setup steps for using Audiosnap.

Footnote: From what I have seen plain old inserted/imported audio plays at its own rate while midi (and groove clips, I believe) track with the transport tempo. 

**Addendum: This is the thread I was remembering.

PS: I seem to remember reading or seeing a video tutorial about other possible techniques (possibly mapping the tempo of audio).  If so, those might be better options.  I will defer to other who have more experience with / knowledge of those techniques.

Addendum 2: Just found my "Fit-to-time" test to visually show at a glance the effect of the stretch. Mine was a textural piece, but it might work for your needs. 

image.thumb.png.df62d950a1d7f704ce06447f6367141b.png

Edited by User 905133
(5) to make Audiosnap a single word, like in the manual (4) to recommend David Baay's solution. (3) to add a visual of the fit-to-time test; (2) to add a PS re: other options; (1)to add link to a possibly related thread

Incidentally, you can close the AS palette afterwards, and change the Edit Filter on the stretch-enabled track back to Clips so that you don't have to see the transient markers, and auto-stretching will remain enabled. You can also do all of this from the Audiosnap section of the Track Inspector. You'll also want to experiment with the different stretching algorithms to see which sounds best with a given clip. 'Online' is used for real-time rendering on playback while 'Offline' is used for Bounce to Clip to make the stretching permanent which can sometimes sound better, and takes processing load off your CPU.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, David Baay said:

- Select the clip

- Alt+A to open the Audiosnap Palette, and click the Enable/Power button

- Got to the dropdown next to Clip Follows Project, and select 'Auto stretch'

- Click the Clip Follows Project button

- The clip wll now follow changes in project tempo.

This works. Thanks David.

On 12/6/2019 at 2:59 AM, dwf2008 said:

Say I start a new project and import an mp3 file to use as a model. How do I slow down the playback so I can learn the guitar parts? I tried adjusting the tempo in the transport section but it doesn't seem to have any effect.

If all you want to do is interactively slow down the clip just slip stretch the end of the clip till it's as slow as you want.

Hold down the CTRL key and then drag the right edge of the clip ahead of time to lengthen the clip.

• Like 1