Etude Simples #2 (Brouwer)

David Sprouse

This is another guitar piece but this time written by leo brouwer.  It's from a set of beginner etudes that are really amazing and entertaining.  I always heard brass, not sure why.  It's hard to get good dynamics out of brass samples.  This is another experiment.

https://davidsprouse.bandcamp.com/track/etude-simples-2-brouwer

Edited by David Sprouse

I always found a lot of Brouwer's etudes rather discordant to my ear (I like No 6 though); I think it sounds better using brass - maybe you could use a touch more drama and attack in the mid section as this would add to the variation but overall a very nice arrangement. Well done

Andy

• Like 1

It's the one time I don't agree with you .. I really think the acoustic guitar has a little more of a 'mellow' sound and not so  discordant as observed by Andrew. I think your version is as good especially given the lack of dynamics as you said and I always learn when your posts come up ... thanks David .. I just wanted to post the version I listend to for reference ...

https://youtu.be/w0sMam70dxk

Steve

I have to agree with Steve, your’s is much more “pleasing” to the ear. I’m not sure I would pan the fundamentals hard right, but that’s just me. I really struggle with brass, (I’m a guitar player, what can I say) so it’s always interesting to hear someone else’s approach. 👍 for sure!

Tom

15 hours ago, Andrew Ball said:

I always found a lot of Brouwer's etudes rather discordant to my ear (I like No 6 though); I think it sounds better using brass - maybe you could use a touch more drama and attack in the mid section as this would add to the variation but overall a very nice arrangement. Well done

Andy

Andrew,  Thanks for the thoughtful comments.  They are kind of discordant, but I like brouwer's harmonic vocabulary, esp on guitar.  His music is really popular with audiences.  I think I'm going to try #3 with woodwinds. :D :D

11 hours ago, SPAK said:

It's the one time I don't agree with you .. I really think the acoustic guitar has a little more of a 'mellow' sound and not so  discordant as observed by Andrew. I think your version is as good especially given the lack of dynamics as you said and I always learn when your posts come up ... thanks David .. I just wanted to post the version I listend to for reference ...

https://youtu.be/w0sMam70dxk

Steve

Thanks for listening and commenting spak.  The classical guitar can be an expressive instrument in the right hands, but it takes  listening very closely.  I like alot of the symphonic instruments because they project so well.  

9 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

I have to agree with Steve, your’s is much more “pleasing” to the ear. I’m not sure I would pan the fundamentals hard right, but that’s just me. I really struggle with brass, (I’m a guitar player, what can I say) so it’s always interesting to hear someone else’s approach. 👍 for sure!

Tom

Hi Tom, thanks for the listen and comments.  I adjusted the panning on the Tuba per your advice.

David ,  I see you are getting pretty complex with your instrumentation with more use of the orchestra  in your song postings ..

I enjoyed your version of the song ...yeah  ,  you have been coming along    much  deeper in your music as time progresses  ( or so it seems to me )

all the best....keep it up ,

Kenny

On 12/8/2019 at 3:58 AM, kennywtelejazz said:

David ,  I see you are getting pretty complex with your instrumentation with more use of the orchestra  in your song postings ..

I enjoyed your version of the song ...yeah  ,  you have been coming along    much  deeper in your music as time progresses  ( or so it seems to me )

all the best....keep it up ,

Kenny

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for your ears and your appraisal.   Are you playing live anywhere around town?

On 12/9/2019 at 12:03 PM, David Sprouse said:

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for your ears and your appraisal.   Are you playing live anywhere around town?

Hi David ,

Your welcome  😊

Thanks for asking if I'm playing around town ...I did up until a few years ago ..mostly in SW Washington area ...

Honestly I don't know the Portland area very well and I wouldn't even know where to start to get back out there ...any of the offers I have gotten were ridiculous

Spend 2 weeks to learn 45 songs to play a one time only gig 2 hours away for 75 bucks ...Yeah right 🤣

If you have any suggestions or feedback on something I may be able to do to get out there in our area

I would love to hear what you have to say ..A PM would work good

all the best,

Kenny 

Edited by kennywtelejazz