Is there a way to edit piano sustain pedal midi data (little triangles)?

Christian Jones

I'm talking about those little triangles that represent the on/release of the sustain pedal that show up at the bottom of a midi clip when you record the action. I've found info about automation and of course I can access the automation on the midi piano track, but I can't see how I can get in and edit the little triangles themselves. Is there a way to nudge/delete the individual triangles? Pretty sure I've done it before.

17 hours ago, David Baay said:

If you double-click the clip to open it in the PRV, the CC64 lane will be created automatically when you show the controller pane. Just remember that up is down and down is up when it comes to sustain controllers. ;^)

370441636_SustainEditing.thumb.PNG.c3a720a0738b17822948392ee11dc9b1.PNG

Right on. Is there a way to edit those? I see I can can draw on/add to them w/ the smart/draw tool and drag them up/down where they lay, but is there a way to e.g. combine the "on" blocks or delete them or move their position? I vaguely recall being able to move the little triangles around at will--and probably I did it in the controller pane where these teal blocks are now--though that would've been in X1/3..

Christian, you can swipe to select them just like any other CC value - then use Shift- to lock the mouse drag the selected values into a horizontal or vertical movement.

It takes some practice. Zooming in horizontally may help with this process.

Also, for simple On-Off, note that you can get the value anywhere above or below the center line to act as an on or off. < 64 is UP/SUSTAIN OFF, >64 is DOWN/SUSTAIN ON.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my workflow (sustain controllers recorded in real time), I generally find that I only need to tweak a single 'on' or an 'off' individually, but you can lasso down/up or up/down pairs to move a whole on/off region. Once a pair is selected, it's easiest to see what you're doing if you grab the top of the CC64=127 (pedal down) controller, and drag that  - usually with snap disabled to get the desired result.

Edited by David Baay
  • Like 1