[CLOSED] 2019.11 Hotfix Release Candidate (HFRC)

Noel Borthwick

2019.11 Hotfix Release Candidate (HFRC)  installer now available!

Thank you to everyone who provided feedback on the official 2019.11 release! This hotfix addresses all problems reported and reproduced since then based on field reports and user feedback. We have also made some improvements to WASAPI mode and fixed some long standing issues to improve device compatibility.  Please continue to report any issues in the 2019.11 feedback thread. We plan to officially release this hotfix very soon, so any early testing would be appreciated.

Note: The HFRC installer will either update the original 2019.11 release or the prior early access HFEA1 build 59. Please choose the appropriate installer based on the version you are running.

Download Hotfix RC for original 2019.11 release

Download Hotfix RC for prior early access HFEA1 build 59

What's New

• WASAPI Shared mode now supports all audio sample rates. This is independent of an audio device's supported native sample rates. All other sample rates will be sample rate converted to the native format. This provides a convenient mechanism to to open even a 384K project on a laptop and play it through its onboard audio device.
  • Full Screen mode now persists globally instead of per project i.e. you can only toggle Full Screen mode via the Full Screen mode button image.png or by pressing F11. Closing or opening projects or switching workspaces will no longer exit Full Screen mode.
  • Track icons are now shown by default in the Console view when using the Basic and Record workspaces. Note: Factory workspaces are always overwritten when installing a new release.  If you need to customize a factory workspace, please save your workspace as a new name to prevent it from getting overwritten by a future Cakewalk release.
  • MIDI playback buffer size default value has been raised to 200 milliseconds to accommodate system timing variations and prevent dropped notes on some systems. If you ran the prior .11 release you will have to manually change it to 200 (if you are experiencing dropped notes or noticeable dropouts)

Fixes

• Glitchy audio playback with WASAPI on some devices - particularly with onboard audio since updating to 2019.11
  • Crash if an ASIO device was disconnected while in use by the application
  • Glitches in WASAPI audio playback since updating to 2019.11
  • Application could freeze when recording or playing back MIDI under certain buffer settings
  • Onboarding dialog opens unexpectedly after updating to 2019.11
  • Intermittent Control Bar Transport module progress bar related crash
  • Recording in WASAPI and WDM could record audio at wrong speed depending on selected order of devices in Preferences dialog box
  • Latency slider value was not displayed in WASAPI Shared mode
  • Closing the application with toast notification showing could cause a crash
  • Help > Get Started menu option missing from localized versions of Cakewalk
  • Switching driver modes crashes during playback
  • Melodyne opens without blobs focused in 2019.11
  • Audio devices fail to open in WASAPI Shared mode at non default sample rates
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

18 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

• MIDI playback buffer size default value has been raised to 200 milliseconds to accommodate system timing variations and prevent dropped notes on some systems.

It appears the default MIDI playback buffer size default is set at "20" ms in the  HFRC. I manually raised it to "200". That  is the recommended starting point correct?

I remember in SPLAT I had it set to 250ms. 

Thanks for your continued efforts in improving CbB!

Billy Buck

Hi @Billy Buck you have 20 msec because you installed the original .11 release. New users going to this version will have it properly reset to 200.
The reason for this flux is in all our testing 20 seemed sufficient. However a few user systems had dropped notes.
There is a big internal change from SONAR (which had a bug with the MIDI buffer size interpretation) which is why we adjusted the value. In the new build for most people it should be fine at 20 or 50 but I've bumped it to 200 to cover more corner cases. Sorry for the flux.

I may change the final release to reset it to 200 on first run once more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would suggest possibly rewording the following:

Download Hotfix RC for original 2019.11 release

Download Hotfix RC for prior early access HFEA1 build 59

I can interpret the wording "prior early access HFEA1 build 59"  2 different ways:

1.  Install this if your version is prior to build 59.  OR:
2.  Install this if you currently have build 59.

I have 2019.11.0.54. 

This is not build 59, but is prior to 59? :)   See the confusion?

Edited by Martin Vigesaa

1 hour ago, Noel Borthwick said:

The hotfix has been officially released now so you can get it through BandLab assistant if you don't already have it. 
The build is 25.11.0.63

Noel, the version ... 63 is not installed , over the one I have ... 54. I did an update through the band lab assistant and it tells me that the update is only installed over the version ... 54. But I have the version ... 54! I checked!

On 12/7/2019 at 6:34 AM, pwalpwal said:

maybe test on lower-spec machines?

I was so happy to find this thread on the MIDI buffer, as I have been fighting this dropped note issue for the last 2 weeks.  Mine was set to 50 ms and I was having problems and I don't consider my machine to be lower-spec.  I have an 8 core Xeon 3.5 GHz processor and I had the dropped note issue.  I have reset to 200 ms and the issue appears to be solved.

• Like 1

It appears that something in the 2019.11, Build 63 update broke track name communications between Cakewalk and iZotope for use by iZotope's Neutron 3 Visual Mixer. I haven't checked other iZotope inter-plugin communications. This is a new problem, iZotope plugin's have been showing track names and communicating those track names to visual mixer until now. On the attached screenshot red boxes outline where the track names should be shown.

2019-12-13.png

Edited by Bill Phillips
To clarify that problem is the result of recent updates.

On 12/11/2019 at 8:31 AM, siordanescu said:

Noel, the version ... 63 is not installed , over the one I have ... 54. I did an update through the band lab assistant and it tells me that the update is only installed over the version ... 54. But I have the version ... 54! I checked!

Did this get sorted out? I have the same issue.

On 12/12/2019 at 12:14 PM, Bill Phillips said:

It appears that something in the 2019.11, Build 63 update broke track name communications between Cakewalk and iZotope for use by iZotope's Neutron 3 Visual Mixer. I haven't checked other iZotope inter-plugin communications. This is a new problem, iZotope plugin's have been showing track names and communicating those track names to visual mixer until now. On the attached screenshot red boxes outline where the track names should be shown.

2019-12-13.png

Your screenshot shows Relay is the VST2 version (see the plugin title area at the top) but the Visual Mixer is the VST3 version.  I don't think VST2 will do track names.  Sadly with all VST3 the track names aren't coming out right, they seem to have extra garbage characters on the end

B3LrXV.jpg

10 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

Your screenshot shows Relay is the VST2 version (see the plugin title area at the top) but the Visual Mixer is the VST3 version.  I don't think VST2 will do track names.  Sadly with all VST3 the track names aren't coming out right, they seem to have extra garbage characters on the end

B3LrXV.jpg

Matthew, thank you. You are correct and I hadn't noticed that. I switched to the VST2 version or relay to get access to the Advanced features. See screenshot. Looks like I'll need to pick between the two versions choosing between getting the track names or the advanced features. I've reported both problems to iZotope and they say the problems are likely Cakewalk specific because they don't support Cakewalk. It's nice that Melodyne does support Cakewalk!

2019-12-14.png

Edited by Bill Phillips
Clarification