Gforce - 3 synth sale

simon

10 minutes ago, simon said:

I emailed them earlier - they are normally pretty good at replying but the support guy (Graeme) isn't the dev so I suspect the answer will be inconclusive.....plus it's Friday evening here in the UK so if he has any sense he's switched his computer off by now and is down in the pub 👍

clamAV is flagging them as Win.Worm.Palevo-35017 - a bit of googling shows that seems to be a fairly old virus scanner and one that windows defender is aware of.  That points towards a false positive as windows defender doesn't flag it.

I'll leave it an hour and then install - I mean what can possibly go wrong !!!! :)

I didn't realise they are in the UK. Thanks for emailing them. As you say they are probably at their local hostelry by now 🍻

Thanks for the research on that "virus".  I have installed them already so I am stuck with the consequences 😟

Although I do have backups.

Edited by ZincT
  • Thanks 1

gforce got back in touch (obviously not drinking yet or if they are they are still checking email)

"False positives I’d imagine. Thanks for letting us know your experience, we’ll look into why that’s happening. "

I'm moving my "false positive" sensor from 80% to 95%.............

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, simon said:

gforce got back in touch (obviously not drinking yet or if they are they are still checking email)

"False positives I’d imagine. Thanks for letting us know your experience, we’ll look into why that’s happening. "

I'm moving my "false positive" sensor from 80% to 95%.............

Thanks simon. I'll keep everything crossed.

My Kaspersky scan is 35% complete and hasn't found anything yet (it says about 1 hour left but I suspect that could be very approximate!).
I might download an alternative AV product on my laptop and see what it finds although if it's any of the ones used by VirusTotal then I suspect it will be a negative (apart from Clam-AV :) ).

Oh btw the reviews I found for Clam-AV weren't exactly glowing!

I looked up ADWCleaner which I recall using previously for adware detection but that seems to be part of Malwarebytes now. 🙄

Edited by ZincT
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ZincT said:

Thanks simon. I'll keep everything crossed.

My Kaspersky scan is 35% complete and hasn't found anything yet (it says about 1 hour left but I suspect that could be very approximate!).
I might download an alternative AV product on my laptop  and see what it finds.

I've been using Webroot SecureAnywhere for years  (very small footprint) and very effective.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ZincT said:

Oh btw the reviews I found for Clam-AV weren't exactly glowing!

ClamAV is the big open source one - and I'm willing to bet (guess) that google is using it.  Always better to have a false positive then a false negative though.

I'm gonna install anyway as soon as I've finished messing with some vocals - if your scan finishes first then I'd really appreciate it if you post if it's positive

again, apologies if I'm panicking anyone but better safe than sorry ........

• Thanks 1

If i recall well , gforce has files that are seen by system as internet link , witch is why the scanners think it s hooks or trojans ... if hey come from gforce server , don ttrip at all , if it comes form another place ...  might be carefull ..

• Like 2

I did a windows defender scan after installing and it didn't find anything 👍

99% certain it's a false positive - YMMV

--------

back on topic, initial thoughts are: the synth sounds very good but negatives on the MiniMonsta is the awful preset system and neither MiniMonsta and Oddity2 have resizable GUI and they are pretty small.  Probably unusable on 4k ?  

Standalone  mode is a bit clunky regarding setup 

Definitely demo before buying 

I am quite liking the Oddity. It's quirky yet intuitive, the XLFO and XADSR provide some interesting modulation options.  While completely un-authentic the poly mode is a nice addition. The authentic duo mode requires a technique adjustment when playing, just like the hardware.

Make sure you download the extra presets that appear in the Extras - Instrument patches tab in your account.  There are also versions of the factory presets in VSTPreset format for use in Cubase.

Edited by Vernon Barnes
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ZincT said:

Thanks for the tips Vernon. Do you know how this compares to the Korg ARP Odyssey PC plugin? The only other version I have is the Korg IOS one which I really like but would like a PC based one. 

I had forgotten about that one and I have not tried it. It looks more "authentic" as you have not got the extra features or patch morphing, for you to decide if that a plus or minus. It appears to have an arpeggiator which the GForce does not have. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

I had forgotten about that one and I have not tried it. It looks more "authentic" as you have not got the extra features or patch morphing, for you to decide if that a plus or minus. It appears to have an arpeggiator which the GForce does not have. 

Thanks Vernon. The Korg one is on sale at present but still twice the price of this one and no demo version. So I think I will go with the GForce one.