Confused beginner. How do I get all the free instruments?

RedExodus

On 12/8/2019 at 12:28 PM, Tezza said:

The free version of Kontakt has some guitars in it if you like programming midi guitars, if you use the basic guitar sounds and disable the processing of them in Kontakt and then feed that to something like guitar rig, they can sound alright.

It's bad though. You're better off using SForzando and the Unreal Instruments free libraries, and yeah sure, it may not be a wall of sound massive right out of the box, but I'd argue that a Clean DI is much better so you can use your own FX Chains with it. If you need an amp, Audio Assault has a Black Friday deal still going on right now.

57 minutes ago, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

It's bad though. You're better off using SForzando and the Unreal Instruments free libraries, and yeah sure, it may not be a wall of sound massive right out of the box, but I'd argue that a Clean DI is much better so you can use your own FX Chains with it. If you need an amp, Audio Assault has a Black Friday deal still going on right now.

I couldn't find any clean DI sounds at unreal instruments, it was all full on heavy metal sounds, I generally don't use that style of sound. I am not sure what is available in the free version of Kontakt as I have only the paid version, in that, I can select something like Jazz guitar and select a pickup style, turn everything else off and that gives a clean DI sound, not unlike when I plug my actual guitar in, in fact that is what I use to create the DI sound, I model it on what my actual guitar sounds like plugged in. Then I can feed that into Guitar Rig into twang for example and with some FX. The end result is that nobody I know can tell it's not a real guitar, mixed in with real guitar, I even get confused which is which. But this is for a specific style of sound, finger or pick picking cleaner Jazz style, with a little dirt and strummed chords, some heavier distorted block chords etc.

I've not tried getting metal sounds out of it, I don't think it would do those that well.

1 hour ago, Tezza said:

I couldn't find any clean DI sounds at unreal instruments, it was all full on heavy metal sounds, I generally don't use that style of sound. I am not sure what is available in the free version of Kontakt as I have only the paid version, in that, I can select something like Jazz guitar and select a pickup style, turn everything else off and that gives a clean DI sound, not unlike when I plug my actual guitar in, in fact that is what I use to create the DI sound, I model it on what my actual guitar sounds like plugged in. Then I can feed that into Guitar Rig into twang for example and with some FX. The end result is that nobody I know can tell it's not a real guitar, mixed in with real guitar, I even get confused which is which. But this is for a specific style of sound, finger or pick picking cleaner Jazz style, with a little dirt and strummed chords, some heavier distorted block chords etc.

I've not tried getting metal sounds out of it, I don't think it would do those that well.

Oh no, it's all Clean DI. I would know, because I have used them.

On 12/7/2019 at 4:56 PM, yeto said:

I am sort of in the same place you are. This forum has been very helpful. So far, for me anyway, I am okay with the free bass, piano and drum modules that come with CakeWalk but the only guitar instruments are in TTS-1 and those sound more like keyboards than guitars. I have tried every free guitar instrument I can find and none have a sound that suits except Ample Sounds free Acoustic Guitar. I like some of the paid electric guitar sounds from Ample Sounds and I will probably go that route at some point in the future. I wish there was some place that sold some entry level guitar instruments at lower prices but if it exists I can't find it.

Good luck,
yeto

Take a look at the Bright Electric Guitar by SONiVOX: 

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/64-Virtual-Instrument/2010-Bright-Electric-Guitar

It's not the best sounding guitar by any means, but it's much better sounding than TTS-1 and for £4 you can't really go wrong.

Their other instruments (Classic Bass, Taylor Acoustic and Orchestral Companion series) are also worth a look and are at the same price at the moment.

3 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Take a look at the Bright Electric Guitar by SONiVOX: 

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/1-Instruments/64-Virtual-Instrument/2010-Bright-Electric-Guitar

It's not the best sounding guitar by any means, but it's much better sounding than TTS-1 and for £4 you can't really go wrong.

Their other instruments (Classic Bass, Taylor Acoustic and Orchestral Companion series) are also worth a look and are at the same price at the moment.

I looked at some of those but what is up with that extra registration software (iLok I think it is called) that you have to download? That extra software makes me nervous.

yeto

11 hours ago, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

I tried all of the below and I just couldn't get the sound I was looking for.

Unreal Instruments Standard Guitar
Unreal Instruments Metal-GTX
Karoryger Shinyguitar
Flame Studios Gibson Les Paul Electric Guitar Both Pickups and Amp
Flame Studios Gibson Les Paul Electric Guitar Bridge Pickup Direct In
Flame Studios Gibson Les Paul Electric Guitar Neck Pickup Direct In
Flame Studios Fender Telecaster Electric Guitar Neck Pickup Direct In

yeto

14 hours ago, yeto said:

I looked at some of those but what is up with that extra registration software (iLok I think it is called) that you have to download? That extra software makes me nervous.

yeto

This is why I do not use Sonivox products, I was interested in many of their offerings sound wise but 28 step installation and ilok software is not something I have any interest in.  It is an odd situation, requiring ilok to buy a $10.00 product. Instead of reducing their prices, they would get more mileage changing the authorization procedure.

Of course if you haven't, immediately download and install the Studio Instruments that come free with Cakewalk. Its the button over on the lower left in BandLab Assistant. The Strings are very nice , the Electric Piano is fine, the Bass....well, it's free.

Applied Acoustics makes a product called Strum, with a cut down version called Strum Session that a lot of people like for virtual guitar.

They have an amazing free sample of over 400 of their sounds called Swatches that you (and everyone) should get. I heard a rumor that if you go to their site and register, and sign up for email updates, they will send you a coupon good for one of their soundsets, and you can use that for one of the guitar ones.

I'm a big fan of their products. My only problem with them is that they sound so good that I get lost in auditioning the presets.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tezza said:

This is why I do not use Sonivox products, I was interested in many of their offerings sound wise but 28 step installation and ilok software is not something I have any interest in.  It is an odd situation, requiring ilok to buy a $10.00 product. Instead of reducing their prices, they would get more mileage changing the authorization procedure.

I tried the 14-day Bright Electric Guitar trial and I didn't like it. I will say though that the registration process was not that big of a deal. I bit the bullet and purchased Ample Sound Les Paul. I think that is about as good as I am going to get for what I am looking for without going through the process of connecting my Les Paul and Carvin tube amp.

This is my current setup to produce my music.

Drums - the drums included with Cakewalk
Piano - the keyboards included with Cakewalk (Rhodes preset)
Bass - the bass included with Cakewalk (Slightly Hollow preset - sounds like a Rickenbacker bass which is the bass sound I want)
Acoustic Guitar - Ample Sound > Ample Guitar M II Lite
Electric Guitar - Ample Sound > Les Paul   

Edited by yeto

• 1 month later...