Generating too many MIDI controls

Paul DeRocco

I'm using the current Cakewalk. When I draw in the controller pane of the piano roll view, it seems to generate every single 7-bit value for the control, sometimes even generating duplicates, even if that translates into thousands of messages per second. This is insane. How do I limit the rate to something reasonable, like 200Hz? The few provided thin*.cal utilities are too stupid, since they're not based on time. Is there a setting for this somewhere?

The PRV snap value doesn't seem to have any effect, and would be too coarse anyway.

It appears that Cakewalk limits the control rate to the tick rate, so a very steep change skips a lot of values but generates output on every tick. So at 120bpm I could attain a 192Hz limit if I reduce the ticks per quarter note to 96, but I think that's too coarse. I think I want the timing of percussive events to be more accurate than the spacing between controls. I'm now trying to solve it with a thinning .cal file of my own.

If you already have entered controller events that are too bunched up, you can use the CAL script "Thin Controller Data.cal".  I use this all the time.

Hope this script is in your CAL scripts folder as defined in Preferences | File | Folder locations > Cal files