How To Copy A Project?

DallasSteve

Question

I created a song in a Cakewalk project.  When it was saved it created its own set of folders and files.  Now I want to create a new song based on the first song in its own folder and files.  I don't want to have to copy and paste tracks and clips from one project to the other.  I see there is File -> Save Copy As... but I don't think that will create the folders and files in a new name.  How can I do this easily?  I bet there is an easy way.

Thanks, Steve

4 answers to this question

To create a new project at the same directory level as the original.

On the main menu click File > "Save As"

Click the icon pointed to by 1

Enter the new project name in the field pointed to by 2

ndyH7IZ.png

Notice the Project and Audio Path fields at the bottom of the dialog are automatically filled in with the new paths.

Just now, DallasSteve said:

I created a song in a Cakewalk project.  When it was saved it created its own set of folders and files.  Now I want to create a new song based on the first song in its own folder and files.  I don't want to have to copy and paste tracks and clips from one project to the other.  I see there is File -> Save Copy As... but I don't think that will create the folders and files in a new name.  How can I do this easily?  I bet there is an easy way.

Thanks, Steve

As long as the "Copy all audio with project" option is checked, Save Copy As will do it.

When you enter the new name, it should prompt you for creating the new project / audio directories.

Mark

Thanks for the response.  I just tried Save Copy As and the "Copy all audio with project" option was checked but it did not prompt me to create the new project / audio directories.  I checked the file folders and all it did was create a new .cwp file with the new name.  Any idea what I'm missing?

Steve

Edited by DallasSteve

scook

Thank you very much.  The first few times I tried it didn't work like I wanted.  Then I read your instructions again and I realized that I had left out step 1.  Doh!  When I followed your instructions correctly it set up the new project folders and project file like I wanted.

Thanks again, Steve

Edited by DallasSteve