Casio keyboard or M-Audio controller and Sound Center

Rick Derer

Cakewalk recognizes my Casio WK-6600 or my M-Audio Keystation 49e and I can get sounds using the little keyboard in Sound Center.
But I must be missing a step because neither of these will create sounds in Sound Center. I assume if I connect my M-Audio and select the string section in Sound Center I should be able to play those string sounds using my M-Audio. 
Can someone tell me what I am missing? YouTube videos seem to gloss over this.

10 hours ago, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

Yep, the M-Audio is the better bet when it comes to keybed and build quality. Casio's keyboards are mostly cheaply with corners cut in order to make it affordable to more people, while M-Audio's equipment is more geared towards professional music production.

What does it mean if Cakewalk Sound Center stops appearing as one of the output options? This was working but when I came back the next day it is no longer working.

17 hours ago, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

It means that the plugin is broken, and you might want to look into 64 bit alternatives.

I opened a previous project and Cakewalk Sound Center is there and creating sounds as expected but now the M-Audio isn't showing up.
Should the M-audio show up on device manage in Windows 10? 
This is very strange. 

Update: I have rebooted and check my projects.  I have 2 projects. First one has M-audio for input and Cakewalk Sound Center for output and everything is working fine.

The second one does not allow me to select Cakewalk Sound Center for output. I have checked preferences and don't see anything different for these 2 projects? Is there another place to look to add Cakewalk Sound Center?

Edited by Rick Derer
more info

9 hours ago, Rick Derer said:

I opened a previous project and Cakewalk Sound Center is there and creating sounds as expected but now the M-Audio isn't showing up.
Should the M-audio show up on device manage in Windows 10? 
This is very strange. 

Update: I have rebooted and check my projects.  I have 2 projects. First one has M-audio for input and Cakewalk Sound Center for output and everything is working fine.

The second one does not allow me to select Cakewalk Sound Center for output. I have checked preferences and don't see anything different for these 2 projects? Is there another place to look to add Cakewalk Sound Center?

Have you checked to see if CSC is loaded into the project? You might want to hit Alt+9 to check your synth rack. If it has been loaded, try removing the synth, and reloading it.

On 12/9/2019 at 6:06 PM, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

Have you checked to see if CSC is loaded into the project? You might want to hit Alt+9 to check your synth rack. If it has been loaded, try removing the synth, and reloading it.

Thanx for the Alt 9 tip.  I can now use CSC to select an instrument and play notes using either the CSC keyboard (which there is no reason to do) or the M-Audio.

Again, thanx for your help.

• Like 1