Layering and/or splitting multi Vst's in Cakewalk

bertus weyers

• 3 weeks later...

Now I've had enough of this crap!!!!!!!!!!!! After months of trying to work with Cakewalk I've finally given up. Now i'm done with this rubbish, rather work with FL studio or Cantabile or similar but cannot work like this. Seems every time a so-called "update" is made. the worse it becomes.  Lately every time I make a change to the VST setup I have to reboot everything before it registers and then only for that one session. Next time I log in everything crashes, gives me a fatal error message, CbB closes on it's own, and I have to start from scratch. I have even tried re-installing CbB on several occasions but to no avail,  still same problem.

Now I'm done, hope you have better luck!!

On 1/6/2020 at 4:58 AM, bertus weyers said:

Now I've had enough of this crap!!!!!!!!!!!! After months of trying to work with Cakewalk I've finally given up. Now i'm done with this rubbish, rather work with FL studio or Cantabile or similar but cannot work like this. Seems every time a so-called "update" is made. the worse it becomes.  Lately every time I make a change to the VST setup I have to reboot everything before it registers and then only for that one session. Next time I log in everything crashes, gives me a fatal error message, CbB closes on it's own, and I have to start from scratch. I have even tried re-installing CbB on several occasions but to no avail,  still same problem.

Using free vst might be asking for trouble in some cases since these VSTs are not tested as well as the better known paid versions are. I often see  crashes mentioned here as the result of faulty or glitchy VSTs. I'm not saying they all are bad but it's a fact. In any case, I hope you find something that works for you.

I tend to do what you were trying to do in a more simplistic way..........I simply load an instrument track for each instrument I want to record. I then play that instrument and record it on it's own track. Once the recording is finished I set midi input to "none". This way you don't trigger multiple synths with one channel....or alternately you could simply set different midi channels. This way no keyboard zoning is necessary. No midi channel routing is necessary. You can send all channels to one reverb if desired or use multiple reverbs..  all depending on what you want to do. Freeze tracks into audio at will. This is a good idea if you have a computer that is pushing limits of cpu.  It is easy to "unfreeze" tracks if you need to go back and make a change to a track. Some orchestra VST instruments such as Amadeus have instruments already mapped to all of the keys inside of one big multi. Only an understanding of the velocity layers and which keys play which instruments is necessary. 

On 1/6/2020 at 3:58 AM, bertus weyers said:

Sorry you are so frustrated.  I am only trying to assist you with my next comment, so please understand I am not saying this lightly.

There are some 32-bit plugins that work properly in Cakewalk, HOWEVER, many many many more are flaky at best, or they cause all kinds of errors, or crash Cakewalk.

There are hundreds of free plugins that are 64-bit, that WON'T cause crashes and flaky issues.

If you want to contact me in a message, I would be happy to try to get you stabilized- I will work out a block of time for us to chat through the issues, and get you working in a stable manner.  We can post info on things we resolve, to help others.  Kewl?  I am quite sure I can help you get things sorted out.

Bob Bone 

• Like 1