Help on how to manage, or delete, Plugins

Toddskins

Can somebody point me to an excellent source on how to understand and manage the plugins, specifically my desire to cleanup numerous duplicates.

If the Vst3's work, it bothers me to see the same plugin (.dll) being displayed twice in the CbB browser.

But if I may encounter a problem later and wish I had the VST2 version, I would like to educate myself on how to manage all these things. 

Also there are 2 or 3 colors of plugins that I cannot keep straight (white, brown, and green).

Is there a good place someone can point me to on how to be best educated on all these things?  Does the CbB reference PDF go into any detail on how to, or is there a website that discusses the difference and how to temporarily block version 2 VSTs from not showing?

Can you simply delete a VST2 .dll and that is sufficient, or rename it, without issues?

One example:  I have Truepianos Cakewalk (the older version) alongside the "Truepianos" listed in the browser, both listed side by side. Can I simply delete the "Truepianos Cakewalk" from the browser, or is that inefficient?  Is there a better way to get that resource off my PC so it does not consume resources?

I want to understand this stuff better.

Thanks to anyone who replies.

Edited by Toddskins

One could delete the VST2 dll or move it out of the scan path. After the next scan the VST2 plug-in would disappear from the "Sort by" plug-in layouts. It would be necessary to remove them from custom layouts.

If one uses custom layouts, simply deleting the plug-in from the layout is enough to make a plug-in disappear.

Rather than mess with deleting/moving the files, I prefer to use the Exclude feature in the Plug-in Manager.

• Select the VST or VSTi category in the Plug-in Manager
  • Locate and click on the plug-in
  • Click the "Exclude Plug-in" button

The plug-in will no longer appear in the "Sort by" plug-in layouts but may be included again if something appears to be wrong with the VST3 plug-in.

The Plug-in Manager has its own help file. There is a help button on the Plug-in Manager UI to open this file.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scook said:

One could delete the VST2 dll or move it out of the scan path. After the next scan the VST2 plug-in would disappear from the "Sort by" plug-in layouts. It would be necessary to remove them from custom layouts.

If one uses custom layouts, simply deleting the plug-in from the layout is enough to make a plug-in disappear.

Rather than mess with deleting/moving the files, I prefer to use the Exclude feature in the Plug-in Manager.

• Select the VST or VSTi category in the Plug-in Manager
  • Locate and click on the plug-in
  • Click the "Exclude Plug-in" button

The plug-in will no longer appear in the "Sort by" plug-in layouts but may be included again if something appears to be wrong with the VST3 plug-in.

The Plug-in Manager has its own help file. There is a help button on the Plug-in Manager UI to open this file.

Your post is helpful, but as I delve deeper into CbB's HELP menus and online information, and the PDF reference, some of my questions are not addressed.

I have not found the meaning for color fonts of the VSTs/VSTi.

Also, can you tell me if having both VST(2) and VST3 on the system (thus duplicates but in different versions) is a problem?  Is it good to have both versions accessible, or best to have only one from an efficiency standpoint?

Does CbB break into a sweat at some point?

Is there some number of plugins that causes CbB to start having issues?   Y'know what I mean?  :)

Edited by Toddskins

6 hours ago, Toddskins said:

Also, can you tell me if having both VST(2) and VST3 on the system (thus duplicates but in different versions) is a problem?

It is not a problem

Is it good to have both versions accessible, or best to have only one from an efficiency standpoint?

They don't take up much room. Still see reports that some manufacturers VST3 can have problems. I install the VST3 only. If a plug-in does not seem to work as expected, re-run the installing to add VST2. I have not had problems with VST3 plug-ins in some time (even with the recently fixed lost settings problem because I did not use VST3 in a way that triggered the problem). That said, there are quite a few plug-in manufacturers, hardware and software combinations, experiences may differ.

Does CbB break into a sweat at some point?

Is there some number of plugins that causes CbB to start having issues?   Y'know what I mean? 

Sure, it is possible because the limits of the software are determined by the machine running it.

On 12/4/2019 at 3:38 AM, Kurre said:

It seems that the colored fonts have a pattern in my CbB.

Green font - vst2, 32-bit.

Brown font - vst2, 64-bit.

White font - vst3, 64-bit or directx plugin.

Hey, wait a minute.  Are you guys talking about the effects menu that comes up when you right-click the FX Bin to insert a plugin?  I don't have different colored fonts to distinguish between VST2 and VST3 (or 32/64 bit, for that matter); this would be extremely helpful...as I usually have to guess.

Edited by AxlBrutality

Colored icons and text are supported in the plug-in browser.

Colored icons are supported in plug-in menus.

The icons and colors used are theme dependent.

Regardless of the theme, the plug-in browser and menus append 32bit plug-in names with (32-Bit)

• 7 months later...