concept and blueprint of keybindings

Astraios

Hi again,

please let me try to discuss cakewalks concept and blueprint of keybindings (not shortcuts) again.

The following  is neither my interpretation nor is it my point of view;

it is just what Cakewalk brought on the table by themselves.

Take a look. In the preferences --> keybinding editor (left small window) you'll find all possible symbols to hang on a command.

These are the following:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ' - =

\ [] ; ` . / ~ _ + | {} : " ? F1 F2 F3 F4 F5 F6 F7 F8 F9 F10 F11 F12 paste delete pos1

end pageup pagedown up down left right back tab empty enter

plus *NUM block*

/ - + enter 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 num roll break lock

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lets add all together = about 100 (should be enough for everybody)

Furthermore almost every single symbol is possible to combine with:

- ctrl

- shift

- alt

- ctrl+shift

. ctrl+alt

- alt+shift

lets say... hmmm all together = 700 !!! possibilities for keybinding sessions.

That's how Cakewalk lays it out for the OP's (users) - don't blame me for this description...

Cakewalk requires about 340 keybindings by their own definition (these are the bolt and fat black ones)

and some of them are badly concreted. So you might have a real problem,

changing the order of commands using those in your own way or style.

The two small editor-windows integrated into the preferences suite is far too small and gives no summery

about what is going on. There is no print or copy&paste  solution to review my selfmade connections. Shall I notice every

keybinding-event with a pencil aside? I think it is about workflow - this is a part of the center to control my actions.

It would be great to see that a bit better structured in the future. Thanks for taking a look to that.

Best wishes from Berlin 🛠️

What about using a programmable 4-button mouse together with your pc-keyboard? 
(that's what everybody is doing allready, he he)
Assign ctrl, shift, alt and ctrl+alt to the mouse buttons and you should have
700 shortcut possibilities right at your fingertips in combination with the keyboard. (that's the concept)
Then you will be free of nerving fingercombinations on your Keyboard producing shortcuts...
This way you can drive down your mouse-jerking actions and start a better workflow. 

How about honoring the program being in existence and nearly perfectly backward compatible for nearly 30 years. There's value in that and there's always an  " inconvenience"  of learning the existing architecture.

Edited by RBH
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, RBH said:

How about honoring the program being in existence and nearly perfectly backward compatible for nearly 30 years. There's value in that and there's always an  " inconvenience"  of learning the existing architecture.

And what about last year; was almost finally goodbye of Cakewalk? What was the reason of this situation?

Edited by Astra-Ios

OK that link goes to a page which is not working. 

What I'm asking is what is it you don't like about the keybinding in Cakewalk? I have found it easy to use and very useful. 

If you want improvements listing them in  a rational order and with enough detail for the the developers to have some idea what you are asking for would help greatly.

• Like 2

OK maybe there is a language problem. I'm simply not understanding you at all.  

What I wrote 10 years ago has nothing to do with your thread.  Besides D is for the dock. That thread from so long ago it has no meaning.

I am trying to help you get across your ideas to improve the keybinding by asking you to be more detailed about what you want. Bringing up a very old thread that has nothing to do with this or you isn't helping.   

20 minutes ago, John said:

OK that link goes to a page which is not working. 

What I'm asking is what is it you don't like about the keybinding in Cakewalk? I have found it easy to use and very useful. 

If you want improvements listing them in  a rational order and with enough detail for the the developers to have some idea what you are asking for would help greatly.

I agree with John here.

The key binding functionality in Cakewalk is perfectly adequate.

Although the more graphic method in ableton might seem nice, I suspect the sheer number of key bindings currently in Cakewalk would negate any usefulness of this type of an interface.

Also bear in mind the effort required to develop such an interface for what should be (for the most part) a one off operation.

I'd strongly recommend trying to learn the key bindings as they are, rather than trying to re-define them.

Changing all your key bindings, may make any help you get here that suggests key shortcuts pretty useless to you - and it'll also impair your ability to help others.

6 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I'd strongly recommend trying to learn the key bindings as they are, rather than trying to re-define them

And why? 

What's the sence in offering such a funktion, if I shoundn't use it?

Why not to find your statement in the manual or help?

Edited by Astra-Ios
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Astra-Ios said:

And why? 

Like I said in my post, "Changing all your key bindings, may make any help you get here that suggests key shortcuts pretty useless to you - and it'll also impair your ability to help others."

21 minutes ago, Astra-Ios said:

What's the sence in offering such a funktion, if I shoundn't use it?

IMO there's two main reasons for the key mapping:

1. To tweak what's there, e.g. add a key mapping to a CAL function or other function you may find useful in your workflow.

2. For engineers who are using your system who normally use another DAW - i.e.  in  %APPDATA%\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core there are key mappings for the major DAW's that you can apply, so someone who is not used to Cakewalk can work more smoothly.

There's nothing to stop you using it. I'm just saying the interface was probably designed with small tweaks in mind.

22 minutes ago, Astra-Ios said:

Why not to find your statement in the Manual or helf?

I don't work for Cakewalk / BandLab and I didn't write the manual. 

27 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I agree with John here.

The key binding functionality in Cakewalk is perfectly adequate.

Although the more graphic method in ableton might seem nice, I suspect the sheer number of key bindings currently in Cakewalk would negate any usefulness of this type of an interface.

Also bear in mind the effort required to develop such an interface for what should be (for the most part) a one off operation.

I'd strongly recommend trying to learn the key bindings as they are, rather than trying to re-define them.

Changing all your key bindings, may make any help you get here that suggests key shortcuts pretty useless to you - and it'll also impair your ability to help others.

All very good points.  One huge reason I leave the defaults keybndings alone is communicating with others .  Those keybindings that are not bound I do bind to keys of my choice.

The OP may not know that Cakewalk can import keybindings from other DAWs. There is one for Logic and one for Cubase.  

37 minutes ago, John said:

The OP may not know that Cakewalk can import keybindings from other DAWs. There is one for Logic and one for Cubase.  

Just for you to know, John. This OP you're talking about is operating cakewalk or sonar since the days the files were saved as .wrk s... ☺️

48 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I'm just saying the interface was probably designed with small tweaks in mind.

.. but Ableton (for one exemple) has another point of view… and that is maybe the smell of success.

But anyway, thx for your responding ☺️

2 hours ago, msmcleod said:

trigger stop and go with your spacebar (I guess you use and many others too) is such a Operation, isn't it?