Reaper now at v6. No deal on it.

kitekrazy

3 hours ago, Peter - IK Multimedia said:

Reaper with the White Tie dual/large monitor theme is bliss.  And $60 is a steal.

That does look good.   Is there a similar alternative for Dual Monitor 1080Ps?  i.e. not "really" high rez + large monitors.   Something more normally like Dual 22 inchers.

(also from a design perspective, looks pretty, but Fonts/color combo on the backgrounds are hard to read)

Edited by Brian Walton

3 hours ago, paulo said:

I tried it during the dark days when the dude upstairs said he had made it so that it could open cwp files, but even though it's kinda free if you want it to be, I still couldn't take to it and for me the opening of cwp files wasn't all that successful because it didn't like frozen synths(IIRC) so it was a short lived experiment. That aside, I think it was mostly the menu layout that made it a bit of a chore to find the synth/fx every time that put me off looking any further into it.

Reaper used to be a pain to route a lot of VSTs , especially Kontakt and Sample Tank but these days it's dead simple. If you decide to give it a try again you might find you like it, however if you're doing fine with what you use now and are happy with it then just make music. That's much more important. 

2 hours ago, synkrotron said:

Well, R6 doesn't work as expected on high DPI monitors, regardless what the blurb says.

GUI for VST such as Kontakt and Absynth are simply too small to read.

Back to 5.99 for me...

They will probably fix it by the end of the week.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

They will probably fix it by the end of the week.

Going off the tone of Justin's reply to the "problem" raised on the REAPER forum I very much doubt it.

He very clearly puts the blame onto the VST vendor and suggests that I take it up with them. Which I did, actually, when Studio One suffered from the same problem and I was ignored.

The other two suggested fixes he gives is to set the graphics setting of REAPER to "Unaware" or to "bridge" the VST (which doesn't seem to be available in REAPER 6 anyway).

And, finally, up to now only two of use have raised this issue on the REAPER forum. They ain't going to faff for a fix just for two moaning users.

I tried Reaper 4 and 5 but I never liked it, just didn't bond with it. I also found it to be a bit unstable, it would suddenly close down without any warning, just shut off, gone. No windows notification either. I went to the reaper forums with my complaint but was machine gunned  by reaper lovers saying it was all my fault.

I am sure it must work for some people but I like to be able to have my DAW on all day and come back to it on and off adding a bit of midi/audio or whatever and I want it to just sit there and work. I am also not a dual monitor person, I like single window. Being able to change everything in CbB, to remove/change stuff I don't use and have it looking simple is what I like. I think CbB provides the most control over that than any other DAW. I have it set like old Acid 7 most of the time, with the pan and volume in the track headers etc.

I'm not that inspired to try it again, happy with what I've got. I jump between CbB and Cubase, they are the only 2 DAW's I use now after using so many others.

17 hours ago, synkrotron said:

And, finally, up to now only two of use have raised this issue on the REAPER forum. They ain't going to faff for a fix just for two moaning users.

I'm sure there will be more users complaining about this.... Those guys should fix this as the VST GUIs are too small in this version, which was never a problem with Reaper earlier

6 hours ago, Ashay Arekar said:

I'm sure there will be more users complaining about this

Yes, there are.

6 hours ago, Ashay Arekar said:

Those guys should fix this as the VST GUIs are too small in this version, which was never a problem with Reaper earlier

We are all being told to "bridge" the older non-scale-able VSTs.

If they provide a solution to this, other than bridging, then I will be surprised but enormously please.