Reaper now at v6. No deal on it.

kitekrazy

REAPER 6.0 contains many under-the-hood optimizations and improvements, in addition to the many items listed in the full changelog.

As always, we will continue to introduce improvements, optimizations, fixes, and major new features throughout the version 6 release cycle.

New in Version 6

FX Plug-in Embedding:Embed small versions of some plug-ins into your tracks control and mixer panels, including ReaEQ, ReaFIR, ReaXcomp, graphical JSFX plug-ins, and more

MIDI CC Envelopes:Handle MIDI CC data as continuous data envelopes, rather than discrete events; create smooth, musical articulations and effects

Auto-stretch Timebase:Automatically stretch and reconform audio around complex tempo changes; easily work with tempo-mapped and live-played recordings together

Routing Diagram:View and edit project routing using a high-level graphical patchbay emulation

Retina/HiDPI:Automatic rendering to HiDPI and Retina displays; new Default 6 theme supports 100%, 150% and 200% natively

Big Project Improvements:Vastly optimized behavior for projects with high (200+) track counts; Metal display support for massively faster screen drawing on newer macOS displays

..and More:New theme with extensive customizability via Tweaker script; Dynamic Split improvements; import and render media with embedded transient information; per-track positive or negative playback offset; faster and higher quality samplerate conversion; and many other fixes and improvements

Edited by cclarry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

If you are still at v5 it's gonna cost you $60.  It's still cheap until Reaper 8 but $60 is kinda tough to spring now.

I think you are wrong. Reaper licenses are valid for the current (at the date of purchase) and next versions. So if you bought your license on  August 12, 2015 or later (when Reaper 5.0 was released) you can use your license up to Reaper 6.99.

Only if you bought you license on August 11, 2015 or earlier you must buy a new license as that is valid only until Reaper 5.99.

• Like 2

Reaper and I just don't seem to jive. I get the basics of it and have done some basic recording with it. I love the audio engine but I just can't meld with the program. Still I always recommend it for others to try. I do need to spend time with it to learn it better I have to admit especially that it has a Staff view now :)

2 hours ago, S.L.I.P. said:

I've tried most DAWs. Sonar was my favorite for a long time, and I'm very pleased with the advancements in Cakewalk, but Reaper, in my opinion surpasses them all.  

WIth at least 20 DAWs on the market, I can't even imagine trying to spend the time to learn more than a couple.  

I appreciate Reaper's operating model and efficiencies.  However, the few times I tried it, just couldn't bond with the interface.  Cakwalk is just better designed out of the box from my perspective.  

If I was a MAC user, I'd spend more time with it to make it my platform for such a machine.  Thankfully I'm not, and Cakewalk is wonderful.  

• Like 1

I put Reaper on a older laptop and I was impressed how good it ran.  I think my brain and CbB work the same way. I also seem to get Studio One too. 

I'm glad we have choices but I have to agree it is good to learn a couple of them instead of trying to learn all of them.

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

WIth at least 20 DAWs on the market, I can't even imagine trying to spend the time to learn more than a couple.  

I said I've tried a lot of DAWs, I no way learned how to use them properly. 

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

However, the few times I tried it, just couldn't bond with the interface. 

Initially it was the same for me.  When I tried Reaper years ago, It was too foreign. I ran back to Sonar and was pretty happy.  When Gibson tanked Sonar, I began to try other DAWs. I used Samplitude for a bit, and while it is an extremely powerful DAW, to use your own words, I could not bond with it. I decided to give Reaper another shot, and once I gave up trying to do things like I used to in Sonar, and really learned the program, did it start making sense to me.  It took me awhile to find a theme that I liked. But I've settled on one for now, and am happy with it. The actions, and macros are so powerful.  You can customize Reaper to your hearts content.  This is not a knock on Cakewalk. I still use it sometimes, and I'm very happy with the improvements, and I hope it continues to be developed. I have used Cakewalk products for over 25 years, and I will always have a soft spot for it, and the Cakewalk forum. 

I tried it during the dark days when the dude upstairs said he had made it so that it could open cwp files, but even though it's kinda free if you want it to be, I still couldn't take to it and for me the opening of cwp files wasn't all that successful because it didn't like frozen synths(IIRC) so it was a short lived experiment. That aside, I think it was mostly the menu layout that made it a bit of a chore to find the synth/fx every time that put me off looking any further into it.

• Like 1