General Error?

I was making  some final adjustments to a project, and when I went to save the project I got a Cakewalk error message saying "General Error". I tried saving the project under a different name, but got the same error. So I closed and re-opened Cakewalk, resigning myself to the fact that my recent changes were probably not saved. When I tried to open the project I was working on, I got another messge, telling me that the file was corrupted due to being "truncated". Imagine my horror - I have been working on this song for several weeks now. Luckily I had set my Preferences to "Auto-save" every 10 minutes, so I was able to open the propject using a recent save.

This is not the first time I've run into this "General Error" message and been unable to save a project.  

If  I've posted this in the wrong place I apololgize. Perhaps I should also create a support request?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

9 minutes ago, Chuck E Baby said:

What kind of plug ins/ VST I Synths are you running in this project ?

Can you list them or is the list too long ? My guess is its a plug in that doesn't want to play nice with Sonar. Possibly an older 32 VST plug in.

On my tracks:

Sonitus Modulation on one guitar, BREVERB 2 Cakewalk VST2 on a pedal steel, epicVerb on a harmonica

On my buses:

Ozone Imager VST3 and Sonitus multiband compressor on my Master, a Blue Cat VST2 chorus on a guitar bus, and another instance of epicVerb on a bus for some 12 string electrics.

Are the Sonitus effects 32 bit DX plugins ?

I can see this causing a General Error. 

64 bit Windows apps can't load 32 bit DX DLL's, and in fact it sees them as different effects as their GUID's are different.

Edited by msmcleod

1 minute ago, Marke Burgstahler said:

Honestly, I'm not sure.

Sorry, just re-read your original post.

It looks like you created this project in CbB - I'd assumed it was created in an earlier version of Sonar (reading too many threads today!).

This won't be a 32 bit DX issue.

When the error comes up, I'd go to Task Manager and right click on Cakewalk, and create a crash dump.

If you put this file up on a file share somewhere and contact Noel / BandLab support, they should be able to help further.

11 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Sorry, just re-read your original post.

It looks like you created this project in CbB - I'd assumed it was created in an earlier version of Sonar (reading too many threads today!).

This won't be a 32 bit DX issue.

When the error comes up, I'd go to Task Manager and right click on Cakewalk, and create a crash dump.

If you put this file up on a file share somewhere and contact Noel / BandLab support, they should be able to help further.

Thank you Mark!

• 2 years later...
On 1/21/2019 at 4:47 PM, scook said:

For future reference, when a "General Error" is encountered, try starting and stopping the transport then save.

This worked for me. I had added a new track, recorded guitar on it and saved it. Then I added 3 effects to a clip I recorded on that track. It was then that SAVE generated the error message. The effects were ProChannel EQ, Sonitus Reverb and Cakewalk Multivoice Chorus/Flanger. My software is a Bandlab client.

Edited by Thorne Ventura

• 7 months later...