Remembering Window Opened Positions

Zaquria

Would it be possible you could change Cakewalk to remember Windows positions for Console, Piano Role etc?

For example, I have a three monitor setup and I always have my Console Window opened on my 2nd monitor. However, regardless of what I do (Save the template with the Console window on Monitor 2), this window always reverts back Docked to the bottom of Cakewalk.

It is becoming a bit of an annoyance having to keep reopening and positioning these windows all of the time.

Sorry for the nag, and thank you for saving this DAW :)

21 hours ago, chuckebaby said:

You can probably resolve this issue by tracing it back to a locked Screenset or a LENS/Workspaces.

I run 2 monitor set up and all windows retain saved information upon reopen of projects.

Thank you, spent some time yesterday looking into this and found that Screenset was the issue. 

I have now setup Workspaces which allows to me to have my windows where I want them when I create or load Projects.

Thanks for the help. :)

• Like 1

I am still having an issue with this, I have used a screenset with dual monitors and locked it,  However the 2nd window pops back to the main screen when opening project. Also if I switch to a different screenset and then back to the one I created it starts to show up on the 2nd monitor and then pops back to the main.   Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

34 minutes ago, markrounds said:

I am still having an issue with this, I have used a screenset with dual monitors and locked it,  However the 2nd window pops back to the main screen when opening project. Also if I switch to a different screenset and then back to the one I created it starts to show up on the 2nd monitor and then pops back to the main.   Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Are you using a LENS/Workspace ? Try selecting "NONE" save your window layout, close/reopen.

2 hours ago, markrounds said:

Yes I just tried this but the console window still pops back over to my main display.

Is the multidock floating?  If so, dock it. Or are you trying to have something like a full track view on Monitor 1 and a floating console on Monitor 2?

Also, thanks for clarifying which specific visual elements are problematic. 

PS: I just tested one of my Workspaces [developed when they were Lenses]--"Undock-Float-001d."  The console and Inspector open up on Monitor 2; other panes open up on Monitor 1.  Not sure I can post a screen shot--will try.

image.thumb.png.7df4d4fa79446f029a80bfae2ec5f0f0.png

You don't have my custom Theme, but if you want to test drive the Workspace, let me know. On three tries right now opening three different projects, the console and Inspector opened up on my 2nd monitor and the first monitor has the expanded track view, floating Control Bar, and Floating Browser.

Here's a different project with the same Workspace plus the same project when I switched to the Advanced Workspace [all on one monitor].  When I switched back to Float-Undock-001d, the visual arrangement returned.

image.thumb.png.48aa0730f7df3d8957f4bde97a2c8b06.png

image.thumb.png.47bd9fb46d7d14c76ed5feac173651d5.png

The second monitor had no Cakewalk panes/windows because I used the Advanced Workspace which only uses one monitor.

Did I mention I think Workspaces are great (definitely improved from the former version of Lenses) and am looking forward to further refinements as forecast in another thread?  In any case, I posted these in case you can use them to help with your Dual-Monitor setup.

ADDENDUM: See warning about undocked / floating windows when having multiple projects loaded. Based on my experiences, not recommended!!

image.thumb.png.d901ee14afabc2a74976d49cc48c82b2.png

Edited by User 905133
(4) to add a disclaimer about floating windows; (3) to add other examples; (2) to add a dual-monitor screen shot and description; (1) to add a PS
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, markrounds said:

Thanks

Mark

Make sure that the Screenshot is unlocked, or it will just open a previously saved Screenshot regardless of your workspace.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 1:15 PM, zaquria said:

Thank you, spent some time yesterday looking into this and found that Screenset was the issue. 

I have now setup Workspaces which allows to me to have my windows where I want them when I create or load Projects.

Thanks for the help. :)

@zaquria when you don't need the ability to switch view layouts on a per project basis, workspaces are a much better solution and part of the reason why we built the feature. You can create specific workspaces that apply to ALL projects and switch to a certain workflow specific layout at any time. 

Of course you can still save per project screen layouts. If the current workspace is set to "none", when you open a project it will open exactly the way it was saved.
It may take a little experimentation to customize workspaces to your taste but once you do that its a simple and powerful way to quickly dial in a view of the application that is suitable to the task at hand. Its a lot more powerful than screensets since its a superset of that functionality.

• Like 3

I have this all sorted out, the issue I was having was while using a remote access program Team viewer.    For some reason when I open a Project on the remote computer the 2nd monitor pops back to my Main display.  This is only happening when using Teamviewer remotely and not on the  customers computer.  I haven't quite figured it out yet but it doesn't appear to be a Cakewalk related issue.   I'm sorry if I caused any confusion with this.  Also thanks Noel for explaining the workspace a bit more.

Jumping on a wagon late. You all so smart- I can't comprehend what you saying- maybe because somebody talking on a phone next to me while I am trying to read. In simple terms- where are these settings to save/create workspaces?

My issue is that I have 3 monitors, 3rd is mostly not active- it is my TV- it stays on another HDMI for cable TV. And occasionally, some windows open on 3rd monitor, and I dont see them. Also my 2nd monitor is sometime turned off to save power and soon as I turn it off, all my opened plugins and software synths jump on 1st monitor. I try to turn off monitors simultaneously, but everything still jumps on 1st monitor and when I turn on my 2nd monitor- it does not go back. My older computer that had AMD graphic card did not do it. This is nVidia graphics and I use Display Port connection for 1st and 2nd monitor and HDMI for TV. I think- maybe DP detects when 1 monitor is turned off and gives everything signal? My other computer keeps all windows dont matter what I do with monitors, but this one repositions everything to monitor 1. Any thoughts? Thank you.