Run Silent, Run Deep cover

Jim Hurley

Took way too long for anything to happen really. An instrumental needs something to hook the listener in fairly quickly, and hold their attention after that  I jumped on to 5 mins and found some musical content, I would bring that in much earlier.

Thank you for the feedback. I wasn't really fishing for any comments, mostly I just wanted to get a feel for the new forum tools, etc.

All the sounds came from the movie sound track but were heavily modified with Reaktor and Stutter Edit and a few other things that I don't recall any more.

As for the length, well, I guess that is a matter of taste.  It is a bit of an oddball ambient style where long lengths are rather usual.

The introductory Sonar ping is, perhaps. too long as it has a very gradually transformation a la Reich's phasing experiments. I could probably cut that all out, but I remember so many pings in the movie I think it is still OK. 

It was a great movie and I made this for my nephew who is just starting to get into synthesizers. It is not music for the general public by any means.

Here is a note I sent my nephew when I was about half-way complete. He had asked me to make a song based on sonar. 

Sounds + samples + sequences for Noah

I forgot to add this:  
Did you ever see Das Boot, which is  WW2 from the viewpoint of a U-Boat crew?  It's all about sounds in a submarine - destroyers passing by overhead, bulkheads breaking apart, depth charges. There's a sailor with head phones on whose job is to just listen for nearby ships using some kind of directional microphone. Great movie.

I love it

something happening within an expected amount of time?

well, change your expectations

fast food woo doo

we are ruled by what/

I mean, I appreciate someone not sticking to the norm

the norm is so prevalent, and determined by who?

I really doubt the author was trying to make a top 40 hit, but rather expressing themself.

but, wtf do i know

now, back to our originally scheduled programming...the mundane and the popular, brought to you by a vote of your fears, I mean peers.

Edited by Jesse Screed
i thought of something else