Problem with Sonar VS

Tristan Chenevez

Hello guys, I might be in the wrong forum. If that's the case, I'm sorry ! Help me getting in the right one, because I didn't manage to find it ! :)

I brought a sonar VS-100 in 2013. I still have the CD with the Sonar VS software, included in the package.

Problem is, my new computer doesn't have a CD drive.

The website doesn't seem to propose me to download it on my account and then put the serial number (even on Cakewalk command Center). It says that no download is available for my "vs-100" product (referring to the hardware, i'm guessing).

Do you have any solution ?

Thank you for your time !

Tristan Chenevez

2 minutes ago, Tristan Chenevez said:

True, but what I need is the DAW software :)

What software was that ? Guitar tracks 5 ? Because I believe that's what came with mine. Cakewalk by Bandlab is a full fledged DAW. Guitar tracks was a basic bones software. 

Cakewalk by Bandlab is free.

Edited by chuckebaby

The DAW that was supplied with the VS 100 was either guitar tracks or a LE version of Cakewalk Sonar X1. Both of with are dinosaurs :D

They were released in 2012 approx. 5 versions ago. Bandlab is the air apparent to Sonar Platinum.

The VS 100 works as a independent controller / without a daw, recording to SD I believe. or can be interfaced with Sonar using it as a midi controller/Daw control surface.

I totally understand where your coming from man. but trust me when I tell you that software you are looking to find is like AM radio. its not worth the trouble.

As I mentioned though, if you registered it, it should be in your account, although, LE versions, not so sure about.

Hope this helps. 

I just checked my account and it was the VS 20 I owned.

2106675088_vs20.JPG.a786c31be7c36d66aa6d4398b2be983b.JPG

It was in my account but the software is no longer available for download, only the serial/reg codes are there now.

You can use the VS 100 with any version of Cakewalk sonar/Bandlab from Sonar 8.5 and up. that's what the VS700's were designed for (Sonar 8.5).

So if you have one of those versions still hanging around you can use that but as I said, take my advise, the Bandlab software is free and state of the art.

Here is a description of the V-Studio 100 with detail about SONAR VS.

The V-Studio 700 shipped with a full version of SONAR 8 Producer (later SONAR 8.5)

SONAR VS used the same SONAR 8 engine but was not as capable as SONAR 8 Producer.

Cakewalk never made a downloadable version of any SONAR 8 DAW.

The first downloadable version of SONAR started with SONAR 8.5 but it was an upgrade that required SONAR 8 already be installed. IOW, the download was not the full product.

The first full version of SONAR available as a download was SONAR X1.

To use SONAR VS you will need to buy or borrow an external CD drive to install from disk.

1 minute ago, Tristan Chenevez said:

Alright then :) Thanks for the help !

Hey no problem man. I hope I don't sound like im trying to tell you that old software is garbage or anything because for its time, it was great.

My only suggestion would be to use an external CD drive (through USB).

Good luck and happy music.

The driver is reportedly available for download from the Microsoft cache. If the computer does not automatically download a driver when it is connected, try going to Windows device manager and search for a driver for the device.

https://www.roland.com/global/support/by_product/v-studio_100/updates_drivers/83cbc054-52c2-4662-9203-04757fe19c49/

https://www.roland.com/global/products/v-studio_100/downloads/

I have not been able to find the included software as a download, nor do I know if it is compatible with current Windows versions.

https://rolandus.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/201937469-V-STUDIO-VS-100-V-STUDIO-100-V-STUDIO-100-Software-and-Driver-Installation-Windows-

If you have it on a CD, you can transfer the CD contents to a USB flash drive using a friends computer that does have a disc reader, network your computer to one that does or buy or borrow a USB connected external CD drive.

Edited by slartabartfast