Spitfire LABS Sleigh Bells - FREE

cclarry

55 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I hate their app.  It can't remember previous install location.  It makes me admire Waves Central.

Some apps always install to default locations and do not even give you an option, although it is worse when they give you an option and do not honor it. I have gotten into the habit of letting apps install where they want, then making a junction afterwards to where I want them to go (move the original folder, then junction where it came from). Saves me remembering what installed where that way too. I keep a batch file for each junction, which is also a handy reference if adding another sample drive... I have done this once and made the process far simpler to restore the machine (break the junction and point it to the new location).

Interestingly Adobe and Corel have both broken junctions on subsequent installs, so I have had to redo the process a couple times. These were easy to spot with apps pinned to the taskbar, since they suddenly go blank due to a bad link.

If only the Spitfire Audio app didn't crap its pants every other week it would be pretty okay.
Their "sampler" interface is clean and easy to use, but it often just forgets where it installed its s**t and just errors out.
Worst part - it's the ONLY "download manager" app that does this on my PC.
But the sounds themselves are great (especially for the price of free).

Edited by eye776

That is weird... makes me wonder if the custom install settings are mucked up. I have never had an issue with it either, but I have never adjusted any of those settings.

Some apps do not react well to cleaning utilities, especially if they store app-specific data in temp directories.  Purging those directories may reset them to "default," which may be another issue for broken links. Not sure if that applies to Spitfire's app, but is a possibility.

None of my settings are default except the VST3 and AAX Directories.
My Labs Libraries get installed to an external drive, and my VST Directories
are on a different drive where I store my VST's...both x86 and x64, so really
can't think of what the problem would be, unless it's an AV or some other
utility mucking it up.  

• Like 1