why did we not keep the name sonar

gargonknight

There was a big discussion of this in the previous forum. I don't recall the deep details, but I think the change of ownership kind of needed a branding update and they discussed what to rebrand it as. They went with the tried and true, and ancient, name Cakewalk for the product. The name that the product originally had (all the way back in to the 1980s). SONAR as a name was new, controversial (well, when they changed from Cakewalk to SONAR it was) and carried with it baggage that BandLab wanted to leave behind.

I did suggest "Bandlab Advanced Digital Audio Software Suite" but it didn't work out that way.

• Haha 6

I think there's more to the name Cakewalk than many remember. Coming from recent times people recognize Cakewalk as a brand and Sonar as a product. But those who are with Cakewalk for longer remember that Cakewalk was the product made by TwelveTone! I'm more familiar with name Cakewalk and feeling fine with that name, a very traditional name in a sense.

dont get me wrong not embarrassed to have the name cakewalk, cakewalk the brand is dead and long live the bandlab name.  funny enough i still call cbb sonar, sonar or cakewalk didnt fail gibson did so could of called it sonar by bandlab. i,ll shut up lol i am very happy what ever we call it!

Well, it looks like the programmers are stuck with the SONAR name for a while.  The Control Surface SDK (for one) uses the Sonar moniker a lot... ISonarMixer3, ISonarTransport2, etc. The main Cakewalk EXE still appears to have interfaces and ID references to Sonar, as well, and a lot of references to CPP files in a workspace folder... who is Jenkins? ;).

I'm sure that one day they'll do a massive search and replace to rename all of those from SONAR to CAKEWALK or CBB or something, and then spend an entire month QA'ing to fix everything that breaks because of it :)

Having started with Cakewalk pre-SONAR, I like the SONAR name more.  I also loved the early Sonar logo on the box below.

image.png.365327a008436d5d57ec316bb6835102.png

I know the name is set, but I think even Cakewalk Pro Audio by Bandlab would sound better.  

Regardless, just happy the software is alive and well!

48 minutes ago, urock said:

Having started with Cakewalk pre-SONAR, I like the SONAR name more.  I also loved the early Sonar logo on the box below.

image.png.365327a008436d5d57ec316bb6835102.png

I know the name is set, but I think even Cakewalk Pro Audio by Bandlab would sound better.  

Regardless, just happy the software is alive and well!

I have the same box and agree with the logo. Simple but cool.