Total DAW n00b. Where do I start?

John Te

Noob,

Welcome to the world of DAW.

Just so we're on the same page, the DAW doesn't make music - you do. The DAW only translates your input into something

you can listen to or share. Back in the day (like Pro Audio 7) we used written tutorials and manuals. These days Youtube is your friend. We're glad to have you aboard but you have to do the work.

Respectfully.... :>)

• Like 1

Something that helped me in my travels was taking notes. There is Youtube with a lot of helpful videos but taking notes seems to drill the procedures into our heads.

Its a great experience and a very satisfying feeling listening to your own compositions. Enjoy these early days of making music. they will be the fondest.

• Like 1

Start making a small project and ask questions here. We might point you to the page in the manual for you to read it.  Don't take offense if we do. Also terminology still gets me sometimes.  I know what I want to do but forget what it is called. Again ask here.  Most are willing  to help. CbB as most full featured DAW's take time to learn.

P.S.

Welcome to this great forum :D

• Like 1

Plug in your interface with a microphone connected, start Cakewalk and open the Basic template, in the Audio panel hit the red button, speak in the microphone and adjust your audio interface input level, then hit the big red button at the top (looks like a tape recorder control) and sing some. Then hit Stop followed by Play.

"Congratulations! You've just got your first hit"  George Martin.