Cakewalk not properly recalling plugin state...

AxlBrutality

Question

So, I just bought the JST Toneforge Jason Richardson amp sim.  Was super excited about it; started playing around with it and was thrilled.  Until I started encountering issues...

Tried copying an instance of Toneforge to another track...parameters were obliterated (didn't copy over), and audio sounds really weird...thin and brittle and almost 8-bit-ish....even after fixing the parameters that were suddenly different.

Okay, whatever....just insert a whole new instance of Toneforge and tweak to taste.  Sucks that I have to do that for every track, but whatever, right?

Except I then found that reopening the project does the same thing to all instances of Toneforge and I have to start all over.  Every time.

So basically I just blew $50 on a plugin I can't really use.

Anybody had similar experiences with any plugins?  I know that there were some random "plugin state recall" issues like this, particularly with VST3s, that were finally supposedly fixed recently.  But here we are.  Also, it does this with both the VST2 and VST3 versions of Toneforge.  (Additional info: 64-bit W10; and I've confirmed I installed the 64-bit versions of the plugins.)

Also important to note that I do have other JST plugins (Gain Reduction deluxe and JST Clip) and have not had the same issues.  I also have other, older amp sims (Peavey Revalver) that do not have this issue, and I haven't noticed it with any other plugins of mine at all.  (Having said that, I haven't used all of my plugins since the last update, so there's that.)

I've sent support tickets to both JST and Cakwalk, but if anyone has any thoughts, they'd be appreciated.

TL;DR:  Cakewalk doesn't recall Toneforge parameters/state when a) reopening project or b) when copying plugin to another track, and causes odd plugin behavior with regard to the audio (audio sounds really weird...thin and brittle and almost 8-bit-ish) even after settings are readjusted.

9 answers to this question

Yikes! Unbelievable. This issue has been a friggin' bugbear for the users and developers, and they were convinced they had nailed it in all its manifestations.

I'm disappointed that Sturgis is being a *****. His collaboration with Boz, Sidewidener, is my favorite stereoizer.

Well, I trust that the devs have been alerted to its rearing its ugly head once again. Maybe they can open communication channels with JST. I know for sure that they are motivated to squash this one.

Is there no workaround like creating Cakewalk presets? I can't remember if that worked with the other plug-ins. I suspect not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AxlBrutality said:

@Robert Bone

Hey, just an update...it has apparently been fixed.

JST sent me an updated version of the plugin, and the problem seems to be gone.  Strange to me that they don't give you the latest updated version when they sell it to you, but oh well.  Lol.

Thank you - I was getting ready to start digging into your reported issue.  Glad they got it fixed so quickly.

Bob Bone

I would like to apologize for not getting back to this sooner - it has been a rough couple of days for me - today included (70 miles of driving, and multiple hours out and about kind of ratchets up the pain levels when already disabled) - anyways - I have a couple of hours of work to do, now that I am back, and then (finally), I can circle back and see if I can look into this as I had hoped.  :)

Bob Bone

2 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

I would like to apologize for not getting back to this sooner - it has been a rough couple of days for me - today included (70 miles of driving, and multiple hours out and about kind of ratchets up the pain levels when already disabled) - anyways - I have a couple of hours of work to do, now that I am back, and then (finally), I can circle back and see if I can look into this as I had hoped.  :)

Bob Bone

No problem; I understand....life has thrown quite a bit at me lately as well, so I get having a full plate.

I've sent in full reports to both Cakewalk and JST as well, though JST is being...less than helpful and seems to have some animosity towards Cakewalk/Cakewalk users.  Either way, I've tried to cover all my bases.  I've also spent a few hours of my own trying to trigger new behavior or find solutions, to no avail.

For now, I just have to remember my settings and reapply them across like 8 tracks each and every time I work on this project. 

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Yikes! Unbelievable. This issue has been a friggin' bugbear for the users and developers, and they were convinced they had nailed it in all its manifestations.

I'm disappointed that Sturgis is being a *****. His collaboration with Boz, Sidewidener, is my favorite stereoizer.

Well, I trust that the devs have been alerted to its rearing its ugly head once again. Maybe they can open communication channels with JST. I know for sure that they are motivated to squash this one.

Is there no workaround like creating Cakewalk presets? I can't remember if that worked with the other plug-ins. I suspect not.

Joey develops some bada** plugins for sure, and he's super in-tune with what the extreme metal community in particular wants and needs.

Unfortunately, this isn't the first time, nor the first circumstance in which, I (and other users) have had issues with him, his tech support, or his social media team.  In fact, there have been major blowups in his Facebook groups over the last couple of years that have led to him being called out by a lot of people...and ultimately led to some of the biggest contributors in his community leaving and never coming back.

Creating presets doesn't seem to work on my end, no.

I was actually kindof hoping that it's the same parameter recall issue that has been addressed (as a side note, funnily enough, I never experienced that issue), since that would mean it's already had a lot of work and attention devoted to it and there would already kinda be a starting point.  But yea, I have no idea if it's related or the same thing (though it does seem like it).

Just kinda frustrating dropping $50 on a plugin that can barely be used.  Especially one that I actually really like, and I was hoping to fully transition away from my old amp sim (Revalver).

I'm a creature of habit and tend to get comfortable, and I hate change.  So when I take a chance and try something new, that's kindof a big step for me...and when I get burned right out of the gate, it kinda reinforces my unwillingness to try new things or take chances, ya know?

Add that to some other issues I'm having with some of my favorite plugins, and I'm in the middle of a project which has been stalled with various Cakewalk and third-party vendor issues, and then on top of that everything my life isn't going the greatest in general right now (and working on music is usually my escape from that)....I'm just kinda in a miserable spot.  I don't even want to  power on my workstation at this point, and that shouldn't ever happen. Music is supposed to be joy, not an additional source of frustration or a chore.

Edited by AxlBrutality
  • Sad 1