Melodyne Assistant vs. V-Vocal - Experiences?

Colin Nicholls

I'm an ardent user of V-Vocal, going the extra mile to ensure it is installed in my DAW environments. The version of Melodyne Essential included with SONAR Platinum and CWBB was not usable, in my view. (The opposite of "essential").

However, I took advantage of the recent Black Friday deal to upgrade to Melodyne Assistant (MA), which according to the feature comparison, seems to be a more 1:1 match with V-Vocal.

My first impression is that MA is much, much slower that V-Vocal to bring up the editor. I think there may be a bug in that the editor comes up with no content (no "blobs" visible) and I had to exit and re-open the editor to see the clip contents.

So I thought I'd start this thread as a place for us V-Vocal fans to share our experiences evaluating Melodyne Assistant.

Any tips or tricks that will help us V-Vocal die-hards to enjoy and leverage MA ?

The V-Vocal plug-in was a SONAR Producer exclusive. The plug-in was never sold separately. Roland did make another product called V-Vocal but it was not a plug-in. It was a stand alone program and was discontinued  years ago.

• Thanks 1

I still use VV most of the time as I can get my desired results much easier.

I upgraded Melodyne to editor but I still find it more difficult...

...and it has far fewer problems such as the no-blob mentioned in the OP.

Too bad Roland didn't continue it's development. They have dabbled with software but never followed through and stick to hardware. I remember Muse (?) which was one of the first pc based midi sequencers before windows. It disappeared quickly. As did R-mix...

Is this the "10 second delay on opening Melodyne for the first time"?  If so, yes, it's definitely a thing (and tied into authorisation in the widest sense of the word - also happens on scanning it as a plugin), but subsequent uses within the same CbB session open OK.

V vocal doesnt even compare to Melodyne in my opinion. It has less stability issues (in newer versions of cakewalk/windows V vocal was boinky)

Use it as a region FX and render your edits. i made this viedo a while back for newbies (i know your not a newbie) it might help with just the basics of Region FX. the Melodyne editor itself will take some time to grasp and learn but once you do, you will see why it is much better than V vocal was.

38 minutes ago, chuckebaby said:

V vocal doesnt even compare to Melodyne in my opinion. It has less stability issues (in newer versions of cakewalk/windows V vocal was boinky)

Use it as a region FX and render your edits. i made this viedo a while back for newbies (i know your not a newbie) it might help with just the basics of Region FX. the Melodyne editor itself will take some time to grasp and learn but once you do, you will see why it is much better than V vocal was.

Interesting. I have never had problems with VV other than rare words too guttural to edit.

I've gotten better with Melodyne since upgrading to Editor, but I hear little if any quality difference and periodic issues which Celemony eventually addresses.

If I’m in a hurry, VV is much faster to work with for me still and my results are fine.

• Like 1