NI Session Horns Pro Upgrade Question (Answered)

Larry Jones

I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum. This is where it belongs. Sorry for crossposting:

I'm looking at upgrading my NI Session Horns to Session Horns Pro during this sale, and I wonder if any of you know the answers to these two questions:

Will Session Horns Pro replace Session Horns on my PC, or will they live together and be usable separately?

Will Session Horns Pro play my existing tracks exactly as I made them with Session Horns?

I haven't been able to find answers on the Native Instruments website. I'd like to be able to keep using my existing horn tracks, and I'd like to be able to share editable MIDI horn tracks with a friend who has Session Horns but won't be upgrading.

Thanks!

ON EDIT: I have emailed e-instruments who make this sample library, and still waiting to hear back.

Edited by Larry Jones

I don't think Kontakt instruments can really do in place upgrades.  Even new versions of an .nki won't update your previous projects, you have to do it manually.  The bulk of the NKI is stored in your DAW's project file, so changing the disc version actually doesn't effect the project version.  But samples/images/some (not all) scripts are loaded from disc, which can create issues if you overwrite an instrument with the new one.

So for example if you have an instrument v1.0 and they update it to v1.1, you load a old project and it will still have the v1.0 NKI but be using the v1.1 samples/images/etc.  You have to load the new .nki and manually transfer the settings over.

(I'd love to be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure this is how it works)

Edited by Matthew Sorrels

Thanks guys! I got this email from e-instruments this morning:

The upgrade to Session Horns Pro will not replace Session Horns and you will have both products side by side. You can still use your original tracks.

So, fingers crossed, I'm going for the upgrade.

17 minutes ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

It does mean you can't share your work in Session Horns Pro with a user that doesn't have it though.

Right. That's why I was hoping the two versions would live tagether and separately on my system. When working with my long-distance partner I'll use the base version he has.