Cakewalk opening existing files with wrong windows

Paul George Webb

Sorry if this has been addressed before - I have searched forum but can't find anything to explain this. Maybe I just can't find the right search terms.

I just updated Cakewalk (Nov 29, 2019). It says the it's version 2019.11 build 54. When I started Cakewalk it gave some options I wasn't sure about and I'm thinking I should have chosen "none" or something like that.  Now when I open any Cakewalk file it overrides the setup of my windows (for example an undocked Piano Roll window) and creates windows I don't want, mainly a big docked mix window in the lower right, and opens the Inspector, which I keep closed. To get back to where I was when I last saved takes a lot of keystrokes. I thought this might have something to do with mix scenes, so I tried getting my windows back to how I want them and then saving the scene (I called it "normal scene"). Then I resaved the file, closed it, and reopened it. Cakewalk started to open my normal windows and then closed them and created the same windows that I don't want. When I went to scene recall my saved scene "normal scene" wasn't listed.  I tried this again and now the scene recall says "normal scene" but it still closes the windows I need and opens the ones I don't want, so saving the "normal scene" apparently any of my windows setup . So I can't even find an easy way to get back to where I left off. I don't understand what Cakewalk is doing. I dug through Preferences and could find nothing about this. I have been using Cakewalk since the days of DOS 2.0 (seriously!) and I am stumped. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thank you, Scook! You saved my sanity (well, what's left of it, anyway...)! I re-ran Get Started as you suggested and selected None for Workspaces. Now my windows work right.

Workspaces was obviously the search term I couldn't figure out. What's weird is that I have no Workspaces menu (I have File, Edit, Views, Insert, Process, Project, Utilities, Window, and Help). No menu mentions Workspaces. And there's nothing in Preferences about Workspaces. It seems that the only way I have of turning it off is to re-run Get Started.

23 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Did you explicitly run the getting started option or was this the first time you installed  cakewalk? Getting started  runs for first time installs.

Hi Noel...

So far all is well here and I have not run the hotfix yet...

...but your post here reminded me that it did run a couple of popup dialogues on first run. I don't use the start screen so it surprised me. Sadly, I don't remember the topic of the popups...

13 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Did you explicitly run the getting started option or was this the first time you installed  cakewalk? Getting started  runs for first time installs.

Hi Noel,

I've been using Cakewalk/Sonar since the early 90's. When I did the recent update, for some reason it ran me through the getting started procedure. When it asked about workspaces I made the mistake of choosing something other than None. Over the years Cakewalk has added so many little buttons and functions that I tend to ignore, I just didn't notice that little drop down window way over on the right. 

Maybe I'm the only one who's been using Cakewalk since before Windows existed...

I also had to run through the getting started procedure.  I am having an issue with my monitors, I use two monitors and my projects keep docking console view back to my main monitor. It doesn't do it every time I open a project but most of the time.   Anyways thanks and I LOVE Cakewalk!!

Mark