Distortion following update

Keith Wilby

Hi all.

My Cakewalk application was updated today via the Bandlab Assistant, and since then all of my hitherto working projects have terrible distortion on playback. I'm at a complete loss, can anyone help please? The version it update to is 2019.11 (build 54, 64 bit).

Many thanks.

24 minutes ago, Keith Wilby said:

Well ... I seem to have fixed it but I have no idea why. Out of sheer desperation I was changing settings, and changing Driver Mode from WASAPI Shared to WASAPI Exclusive did the trick. 😮

I believe this is one of the suggestions made in one of the other threads related to noise, distortion, crackling, etc.  If I stumble on the link, I will add it here. It might have been in the feedback thread for the 2019.11 release.  I believe there are comments posted in some of the various threads that explain some aspects of the distortion, noise, crackling, etc. problem(s).  They might help answer the "why" question (i.e., why switching audio driver modes helps in some cases).

I am just a plain old user (i.e., not staff or even a power user) and couldn't explain it, but I remember seeing explanations.

Not sure if someone can tag the posts/threads posts with "distortion," "noise," "crackling," etc. so they might be easier to find than just doing a keyword search of all the times those words are used.

This might interest you. It includes a link to the feedback thread, too.

Edited by User 905133
To add a link which might be relevant