CbB -- How do I get MIDI voices to stay put?

Michael McBroom

Question

I've had this problem with earlier versions of Sonar, where I will specify a voice or instrument or patch -- whatever you want to call it -- and during playback the voice will suddenly change to something else. I can click on the voice in the track bar and it comes back -- for a while at least. In the past, I was usually able to determine that the cause for this problem was I had inadvertently assigned two tracks to the same channel. But this hasn't always been the case. In these other instances, the tune often fixed itself for some unknown reason.

Well, it's doing it again. I double checked, making sure each MIDI voice had its own channel. In this instance, I actually have two tracks that are misbehaving, and each one is from a different synth. I saved the file and brought it back up; still doing the same thing. As I mentioned I've run into this before where Sonar just fixed itself and the problem disappeared. I wasn't aware that I'd done anything specific to correct the problem. Although I might have, I suppose.

I'm running the current version of CbB. It you have any ideas or suggestions, let me know, ok? Thanks.

7 answers to this question

Probably. The file has 8 tracks, all MIDI. I'm using TTS-1 for most of the MIDI voices, but two of them are using Roland's Groove Synth. I'd have to see if I can configure it for all TTS-1 and see how that will work. Oh, I forgot -- I'm using Cakewalk SSI Strings on one track also. Okay, everything is configured for Cakewalk synths now. One of the voices I had set using the Roland sounds like crap now, but oh well.

By the way, I neglected to mention above that I checked the event list for both voices and found no instances of patch changes.  And, interestingly enough, one of the voices -- the one that I had originally assigned to the Roland -- has stopped misbehaving. And it continues not to misbehave after being reassigned to TTS-1. But the other voice, which happens to be the melody voice for this tune, continues to switch voices without permission.  It's switching from synvox to accordion F.

Okay, here goes.

apllonia_cakwalk_synths.cwp

I'll be dinged -- you're right. Dunno how I could have missed that. My eyes are keyed onto that orangish-yellow color. Only thing I can think of is that I may have been looking at a different track's event list. I just now noticed that it doesn't change tracks when I click on another track. I'll bet that's what I did, just assuming it changed tracks when I did. Once I manually shut down the different track and then called up Track 4 in the Event List, there it was, big as day.

Okay, well that was a relief. CbB has gone back to being predictable again. Just me who isn't. 🙄