What Is The Difference Between Cakewalk And Bandlab's Mix Editor?

Zhi Ying(Geroniny)

Question

9 answers to this question

First, welcome to the forum and to Cakewalk by BandLab or CbB for short.

I should mention I know more about Cakewalk by BandLab than I do about BandLab itself.  That is because I have been using predecessors to Cakewalk for many years but have not investigated BandLab much so I am not very familiar with the online product.

One difference between BandLab's online product and CbB is BandLab is an online service while CbB is offline.  As an online product BandLab is bound to the internet so if there is no internet there is no product to play with.  But, when there is an internet connection you can access BandLab using any device with a Chrome browser.  Likewise all files are stored online or in the cloud.  If you do not have an internet connection you can not access your files.  Cakewalk by BandLab exists on Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 64 bit laptop or desktop computers as a standalone program.  As a standalone program the internet is not needed.  Files are stored offline and in storage maintained by your computer.  The BandLab Assistant facilitates file transfers between the internet and the standalone program to provide a method to authorize and update the program.

If I remember correctly BandLab is limited to 12 tracks.  Cakewalk by BandLab has no built-in track limit.   That's all I can think of right now.  I'll let some other users chime in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After using BandLab for a couple months, I tried downloading and using Cakewalk. The interface was so overwhelming that I gave up. Is there any difference in quality between the two? I fear I will have to toughen up and use Cakewalk because I’m experiencing a lot of popping noises and buffering, even with a quad core processor and 100 mbps internet speed. Will this still be an issue in Cakewalk? Thanks In Advance 😀

Edited by Steve Hanson

14 hours ago, Steve Hanson said:

After using BandLab for a couple months, I tried downloading and using Cakewalk. The interface was so overwhelming that I gave up. Is there any difference in quality between the two? I fear I will have to toughen up and use Cakewalk because I’m experiencing a lot of popping noises and buffering, even with a quad core processor and 100 mbps internet speed. Will this still be an issue in Cakewalk? Thanks In Advance 😀

Welcome to the forum.
Internet speed won't (shouldn't) be a problem, but a quality audio interface is almost a necessity. It's a professional recoding studio in your computer, so yeah, it's a little complex.