What the heck did you do?

Ondrej Hurbanic

Someone else mentioned this in another thread, but I checked the current release against the last release of SONAR Platinum, and also X2, and did not see any difference on two different machines (one ASIO, and one WASAPI). As I mentioned in that thread, the Now cursor has always been a bit jittery at higher tempos and zoom levels for me. It could certainly prettier at higher zooem levels.

That said, I suppose it's possible they're all using some shared code, and all are more jittery than before, but I haven't noticed a change. At what tempo and zoom level (measures in view) are you noticing it's worse.  

I don't understand why  I am the only one with this problem. Maybe I'M the only one still using Windows 7? On my Windows 10 Install the new update has no such problems. Anyone else using Win7? Audio interfaces are one ;Mbox 2 and a UA25EX and a internal Realtek (H97Chipset, 750Ti Graphics). Everything standard. And I have the Stuttering with all 3 Interfaces, every driver (WDM, Asio, MME, Wasapi etc.). 

• scook locked this topic
  • scook unlocked this topic

I've tried the buffer & different drivers. To me it must be in the program itself. I have used Sonar since V4 and every rendition to platinum and never had this issue. I was using my old  platinum two weeks ago perfectly fine and the next day downloaded bandlab and instantly saw the difference in the cursor. Nothing changed on my system that was working perfectly except I downloaded cake by bandlab.  That's the only thing that has changed on my system to go from stable cursor to "double vision" like shaky. No I do not have the pause key pressed . That makes it SUPER jerky and laggy. There is no reason to believe there is anything wrong or set up wrong with my hardware. Something changed between the two programs.

Did you uninstall Platinum? If not, does it still behave as expected?

Here's a quick description of the behavior that I consider typical and longstanding at tempos around 120bpm:

At low zoom levels (i.e. approx. 16 or more measures showing across the clips pane),  the Now cursor travels pretty smoothly, but looking closely, I can see the cursor line wobbling back and forth against the marker above it by a pixel or two. With about 8 or fewer measures showing, it becomes noticeably jittery. And at still higher zoom levels like 2 measures or less it starts to show a distinct 'ghost' that trails the leading cursor by progressively more distance the higher I zoom -  maybe a half inch with half a measure showing.

Are you seeing something worse than that?