Clip processing woes.

Jeff Bowman

Can anyone tell me why whenever I try to apply any form of processing to more than one clip at a time, it's a total crap shoot as to what I end up with?

Will I get the original data shifted by a few beats, spurious extra data from the ether, the contents of another, non-selected clip, the intended result or a combination of all the above?

Been using Cakewalk since 5 Pro (pre audio days ) regularly updating up to Sonar X3 and always had it stable, fast and productive.  I skipped Platinum and now, since Bandlab,  it's taking me up to 5 days to get a days work done!

As an example:

I have two audio tracks with strings on them recorded from two hardware synths. I want to lower the gain by 2dB over the last 16 bars of the song.

I select the appropriate clip on each track, select gain from the menu, select 2dB cut and OK. The gain applies, the waveforms redraw. I play back the clips and now have drums!

Another example:

I want to apply a velocity change to two MIDI clips. They might be on the same track or on different tracks, it doesn't seem to matter.

I right click on one of the two selected clips, Process effect, MIDI effects, Uncategorized, Velocity. Apply the effect.

Now I have loads of spurious MIDI events ( mod wheel, notes or any number of other random events ) added to or replacing my original data.

Wow. I don't recall anything quite like that ever being reported previously.  Is it repeatable or just happens at random/intermittently?  Really sounds like some kind of memory corruption happening. What O/S? If you have a project that demos this with a repeatble recipe, I'd be interested in giving it a whirl on my system.