More VST instruments

Feral State Sound

Hey re-again 😁

The included Studio Instruments Suite is a great start but very basic. From my point of view, it doesn't make sense that the Bandlab online editor has more instruments than the flagship DAW of the company. Maybe a basic synth, and acoustic piano and a brass section would make feel a "more complete" start for new users.

Thank you!!

Edited by Alex H.
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2018 at 11:45 PM, Stephen Ajewole said:

Yeah I agree man... There isn't a whole lot to work with, expecially if you make electronic music like myself.  If they include at least a basic subtractive synth or rapture session, then I think that would be better. 

Also,  are you new to this forum or did u come from the old one? 

I can't remember what came with what version now and don't know what actually comes with the bandlab version, but for elecronica keep an eye out for offers on  air hybrid3/vacuum pro/loom.  Don't pay the "normal" price though. There are nearly always deals on these for sometimes as little as £1/$1. IIRC I got one free and paid less than £5 total for the other two.

Edited by paulo

It wold make sense for BandLab to re-issue Rapture Session as part of the CbB bundle, while offering the full Rapture Pro as a paid upgrade.

Rapture Session doesn't offer much in the way of instrument editing, but it comes with a nice collection of sounds. including basses, guitars, pianos & keyboards, synths, strings, etc.  That would make a nice addition to the package for first timers. :D

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, abacab said:

It wold make sense for BandLab to re-issue Rapture Session as part of the CbB bundle, while offering the full Rapture Pro as a paid upgrade.

Rapture Session doesn't offer much in the way of instrument editing, but it comes with a nice collection of sounds. including basses, guitars, pianos & keyboards, synths, strings, etc.  That would make a nice addition to the package for first timers. :D

It does make me wonder why BandLab didn't do this in the first place.

I suspect some of the sounds may have been using libraries that were licensed to Cakewalk Inc. and there were reasons why those weren't part of the BandLab acquisition.

A paid version of RapturePro however, could probably cover the cost of renewing any licenses.

Just speculating tho...

55 minutes ago, paulo said:

I can't remember what came with what version now and don't know what actually comes with the bandlab version, but for elecronica keep an eye out for offers on  air hybrid3/vacuum pro/loom.  Don't pay the "normal" price though. There are nearly always deals on these for sometimes as little as £1/$1. IIRC I got one free and paid less than £5 total for the other two.

I agree, those free or nearly free AIR synths are a no-brainer.  They may have dated GUIs, but still make some excellent sounds.

There are also lists of excellent free VST instruments all over the place, as well as lots of opinions on which are the best.  Some are very, very good, and worth hunting down and trying.

For free, I would start with:

u-he Zebralette (free version of Zebra)

u-he Tyrell N6 (analog modeled subtractive synth,  inspired by Roland Juno, many community preset banks available)

Synth1 (a Nord Lead clone, with a bazillion free presets available, amazing sounds)

OB-Xd (an Oberheim OB-X emulation, with many community preset banks available)

Dexed (a Yamaha DX-7 FM synth clone, with another bazillion free presets available)

Ample Sound Ample Bass P Lite II ( a sampled fingered Fender P-Bass)

Ample Sound Guitar M II Lite (a sampled Martin acoustic 6-string)

Native Instruments Kontakt 6 Player (free factory library with 50 sampled instruments included)

IK Multimedia Sample Tank CS (Custom Shop edition, with 30 free factory sounds included)

Sennheiser DrumMic'A (a sampled drum kit for Kontakt Player, requires registration on a German website, but Google translate can get you through that!)

MT Power Drum Kit (a sampled drum library with groove library)

In my opinion, that is the cream of the free crop, and all found a permanent home on my hard drive!  :D

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

Here are a few links to songs submitted to KVR's One Synth Challenge.  Many of these contests were dedicated to free synths, and the requirements are to use only the one designated synth to generate all sounds (including percussion) used in the songs entered for that challenge.  Multiple instances and tracks are allowed.  Check the rules for details and restrictions.

Note: some of these synths have had repeat appearances in additional challenges. 

There is some excellent work here by the participants.  I am amazed at what can be done with just one (FREE) instrument in creative hands! :D

Synth1: https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-94-synth1

OB-Xd: https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-93-obxd

Tyrell N6: https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-91-tyrell-n6

Dexed: https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-74-dexed

Zebralette: https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-32

Edited by abacab

I dunno..there are SO many VSTi's out there that you can grab for free I don't see any big need to bundle them..just a lot of bloat for those of us that are not interested.

The only bundled thing I ever used was Z3ta , and maybe TTS-1 to make my own metronome. The studio Instuments are a waste of space for anything serious.  

Synthmaster is one of the most overrated synths that can be had at times for under $50.   I've noticed with synths there's always a popularity trend.  Serum is the new top dog, then there was Spire and Sylenth.  Usually these trends what patches are released by developers.   

22 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Synthmaster is one of the most overrated synths that can be had at times for under $50.   I've noticed with synths there's always a popularity trend.  Serum is the new top dog, then there was Spire and Sylenth.  Usually these trends what patches are released by developers.   

I would recommend just starting out with all the good freebies available, before buying anything.  That would give you a better idea of what your needs are, and where to put your budget.

Then I would get all of the $1 - $29 dollar instrument deals that I could find.

Then I would get SynthMaster (on sale).  :D

Then I would carefully pick and choose from among the current popularity contest winners (and u-he), and choose one or two keepers after trying the demos.

Pick up the latest version of Computer Music.  They have a large number of free instruments and effects included, many of which are exclusive lite versions of more popular software (ie Bazille CM, Synthmaster CM, Rhino CM, etc).  

Also, but I don't know if this is still supported, but in CM 200 they gave away a full copy of OG Rapture and in a later edition they had a giveaway of Home Studio with Rapture Session.