Acoustica Mixcraft 9 is out

Bapu

• 2 weeks later...

This upgrade turns out to be one  I am happy with .

I like the new mixer for sure ...

IMHO it looks better and it also has the added flexibility of having a reverb , a compressor and the drive baked into the interface.

FWIW , Darker equals less cartoon looking and that works better for me ...

I already had Voltage Modular Core which I happen to enjoy learning .  I'm happy they included a version of Voltage for people as an add on ...

I can say The  Voltage sounds I have found so far sound a lot better than a good deal of  synths I had picked up and purchased along the way in my synth Journey .. As a Guitar player this is A tough one to learn correctly ...a keyboard play will probably take to it like a duck to water .

Also some of the new plugs sound pretty good ...

This DAW offers a tremendous amount of Bang for the Buck ...I just wish they would offer the ability to preview midi files from the browser ...

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kennywtelejazz said:

This upgrade turns out to be one  I was happy with . I wound up doing  it right around B F / when this thread was posted ....

I like the new mixer for sure ...IMHO it looks better and it also has the added flexibility of having a reverb , a compressor and the drive baked into the interface.

Darker equals less cartoon looking and that works better for me ...

I already had Voltage Modular Core which I happen to enjoy learning , so I'm happy they included a version of Voltage for people as an add on ...I wish I knew how to program  it better than I do ,,,I can say this thing sounds better than a good deal of  synths I had picked up and purchased along the way ..

Some of the new plugs sound pretty good ...

This DAW offers a tremendous amount of Bang for the Buck ...I just wish they would offer the ability to preview midi files from the browser ...

This is the only DAW I use that will not let me dial up a drum VST synth and  preview my midi drum loops . I know I have a few thousand I'm sure you guys do also  ...

when ever I have mentioned this to the company they acted like I was an odd ball ..Yeah Right ...

Kenny

I bought the upgrade. Might as well since I waste that money on another plugin or Kontakt library I will forget about.    Their forum has an odd group of fanboys.  The reason why I posted that video is someone finally made something that Mixcraft has failed to do.   They are way behind in how to videos.  They told me they are a small team but so is Image Line and they have the most popular DAW around.

It's not one of the big  leaps that 6 to 7 and 7 to 8 were, but they weren't as far behind the rest of the market this time.

The area with the biggest improvement, and it was the one where it was most needed, IMO, is the mixer/console. They even have various processing modules you can add right to the mixer strip. Parametric EQ, compressor, saturation. It makes the channel strips more professional. They should call it ChannelPro or ProStrip or something.

You can also now undock various elements like the control bar. So it makes it even more Cakewalk-y, in a good way.

There are a few Mixcraft features I would love to have in CbB, for sure, like marker colors, markers with full-length vertical rules, and the way they handle drag-and-drop submix/folders,

The stability and efficiency of their playback engine has always impressed me, although Cakewalk's immediately sounded better to my ears than the v. 8 one. I say playback, not mixdown, which are two different operations, and Mixcraft may be sacrificing some quality in order to get that efficiency. I don't know. Bounces/mixdowns sound comparable to what I get from Cakewalk, and it's all so subjective. Maybe I was dazzled by the pretty mixer in Cakewalk.

You still can't hide take lanes, so if you've got tracks with many multiple takes, vertical navigation of big projects can still turn into a scroll-fest. You can put your tracks into submixes very easily, though and hide them that way.

I still prefer the tracking workflow in Mixcraft to CbB's, and simple comping is slam bang. Until the revamp of the Smart Tool, I would have said that I preferred Mixcraft over CbB for tracking and comping. Now I've grasped the wonder that is Speed Comping rather than blundering into messing up my projects with it, so I'll give the edge to Cakewalk.

Workflow-wise, I think that for me, tracking in Mixcraft, then exporting raw stems to Cakewalk, then comping and mixing might be best of both worlds. The better markers in MX make it easier to get around to sections, etc. Also it comes with a handy-dandy smartphone app to run the transport.

As far as the respective various sound engines, playback, bounce, summing, resampling, whatever, I haven't spent enough time with MX9 to say. Tracking in any DAW should result in raw audio with the same 1's and 0's. It's not until you start using the playback, mix, bounce, summing, resampling engines that their differences (and unless you believe that every software engineer at every different DAW company uses the exact same  algorithms, implemented in the exact same ways for these operations, there must be differences) should become apparent.

• Thanks 2

On 12/10/2019 at 9:01 PM, kennywtelejazz said:

There are two things about Mixcraft that really turned me off when I last looked at it.  One was having the transport in the middle of the screen where it will get obscured whenever you view a plugin (it sounds like that might not be an issue any more).  The other was the lack of MIDI file preview.  

On 12/10/2019 at 8:01 PM, kennywtelejazz said:

4 hours ago, Magic Russ said:

There are two things about Mixcraft that really turned me off when I last looked at it.  One was having the transport in the middle of the screen where it will get obscured whenever you view a plugin (it sounds like that might not be an issue any more).  The other was the lack of MIDI file preview.  

Yes ,  now you can dock and undock  things around  to your  taste . 

As far as the lack of midi preview goes I raised this issue with Acoustica in a thread at the old forum in 2017

Here's  the answer I got http://forum.cakewalk.com/FindPost/3696612

BTW a lot of useful stuff was posted by all of us in that thread before I got PO ed a them ...the thread itself is a gold mine

Kenny

1 minute ago, Tezza said:

Does anyone know what instruments and plugs can be used outside of Mixcraft 9 in other DAW's?

I know they have added some new instruments and plugs.

I believe the New Voltage Modular Ignite can be used outside of Mixcraft.
I think most of the others are "locked" to it. 

....and in case anyone wasn't aware, Cherry Audio, makers of Voltage Audio, is a new company formed by principals from Acoustica.

I haven't spent much time with Voltage Audio, as I am an admitted "preset tweaker" when it comes to synthesis, but it looks great.

Actually most of the plug-ins work in Cakewalk, including the Acoustica Studio Instruments, which is their really good-sounding GM player.

Some off the top of my head that I can think of: the G-sonique plug-ins all do, although most of their VST FX are 32-bit. The VTD Psychedelic Delay is one of my favorite "weirdo" FX, sad that Acoustica haven't licensed the 64-bit version. The vintage synth emulations all do, the MemoryMoon, MiniMogue, ME80, Messiah, etc. Pianissimo, which along with Melodyne Essentials alone might make the upgrade to Pro Studio worth the money for some, works just fine in Cakewalk. All of the Acoustica FX, like their Pro Studio Reverb, and Vocal Zap, work in Cakewalk. Glass Viper does. A|A|S Journeys/Entangled Species works in Cakewalk.

The ones I can think of that appear locked are the ToneBoosters ones, which say ""unregistered" down at the bottom when I load them in Cakewalk, the VB-3 organ, and the Lounge Lizard Session Piano v.3. Too bad about the ToneBoosters plug-ins, too, because they are niiiiiice.

Mixcraft remains an excellent choice for people getting started with DAW's on Windows to get something done right away.

That was one of the main criteria when I was doing my own personal shootout to choose which one to start with 5 years ago. I downloaded all the demos, my budget was $100, with the idea that as I learned more I would "graduate" if necessary. From the "Studio" versions to the "Pro" versions where applicable. And there were less mature ones (at the time) like Mixcraft, Tracktion, REAPER and others that might add features.

One basic benchmark was how long did it take me from installing the program to being able to arm a track and record audio. I figured the faster I could perform that basic task with it, the more new-user friendly the program was and also specifically friendly to my needs.

For those who know REAPER, it will be no surprise which program came in absolute dead last. I think it was over an hour including downloading the user guide and then some user's incomplete tutorial for first-time users. The documentation had the same blind spot that Linux and other open source software used to suffer terribly from: my task was too basic for it to occur to anyone to document. I wound up almost screaming at the computer screen.

Mixcraft did it in under a minute. And it came with a remote app that runs on Android and iOS that lets you start and stop recording and playback and rewind and adjust the fader on the Master bus. Sold.

The rest of them were all crippled in some way or other that ruled them out. Limited to 16 tracks? No VST support? Sticking every UI element into a single window when I have two monitors? Mixcraft is a meat-and-potatoes DAW that is easy to switch to and from as necessary. It's still an excellent backup, a go-to for when I can't get MIDI to work in Cakewalk no matter how many chickens I sacrifice.

Like every DAW, it has its annoying blind spots. After this round of features, in which they nailed some of the biggies, like "Fisher-Price Mixer" and "Transport Stuck In The Middle" the worst remaining one for me is the lack of keystroke support. Many functions lack any keystroke at all, and there is no way to assign your own. That's just lame. Mouse in the right hand, left hand on the keyboard, people. No keystroke for an operation hampers possible efficiency.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the FYI on Mixcraft. My upgrade from Pro 8 is 39.00 not 29.00.  Not a bad deal at all. I like that Mixcraft is making some decent changes.

I will probably upgrade even though I only used the program a few times last year.  I know I won't use it much this year either, but I keep several DAWS to have around just in case there's that time when you need something that might be in the loop library, or if I make another video and want to use it instead of Vegas,or anything else that maybe one can do better than the other.

I like vocoders and buying a decent one would probably cost me more than the price of upgrade. The GUI looks a lot better. Like Kenny mentioned ( maybe in that older post) Even Ableton doesn't have the  dual screen when working on both tracks and loops construction view....not that I even do much of that.

I don't think it's because I couldn't do well using Mixcraft as my main for most things, it comes down more to me knowing how to use Cakewalk the best out of all of them which is why it continues to be my main DAW.  

I remember buying this when everyone questioned the future of Cakewalk and the then Sonar Platinum. A few members here also bought Samplitude. There was a good deal on it at the time. Also a decent DAW for what it does. I wonder how many have shelved those and gone back to Cakewalk as their main?

I'm glad Starship Krupa took the time to list many of the synths and plugs from Mixcraft that can be used in other DAW's ...

I was thinking about listing them myself since I use them in Cakewalk and other DAW's but then I got bogged down creating the list 🤣

A couple of things , $29 dollars for the upgrade was for the days Acoustica were having their Black Friday sale ...I squeaked in at that price just by the skinny skin ....

After playing around with it for a while I can say even if I had missed the sale it would have easily been worth the regular customer upgrade price ...

For the record I have Mixcraft 7 Pro , 8 Pro and now 9 Pro and I can say I like 9 so much better than 7 & 8 ...it seems all the little touches and gradual improvements Acoustica has implemented over time has dialed this DAW into a rather sweet workflow .

The Melodyne  integration is so simple to use ...I still have essentials so on non polyphonic audio I love just double tapping an audio clip and having the option to convert the audio to a Melodyne Region . being able to switch back in forth in one window between the editor and Melodyne is a nice workflow ...

Another thing I like is  being able to right click on an audio file and have it converted over to a midi file on it own new track ...Love it ...so simple ...and precise .

Even though I have a Polytune head stock tuner and plug ,  I like having the guitar tuner on my audio tracks .  I don't play just guitar ( every time I save up to buy Kontak I wind up buying a real instrument instead) 🤣I got mando's ukes and a bunch of other wayward orphaned musical stringed instruments I have adopted and given a home to..  

I already had the Voltage Cherry Audio synth n a much higher version than what comes w Mixcraft and honestly I have a long ways to go at programing it yet I can say sound wise this synth delivers it best and most where it counts ...the sound ...

Anyway , I'm not gonna give a full on review on Mixcraft 9 Pro right now ....there are many other people that can pull it together and do that

I will say this , I have started using Mixcraft  again in addition to Cakewalk and I find this DAW to be a somewhat friendly relaxing environment to create music in ....

all the best ,

Kenny

Edited by kennywtelejazz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yep, grabbed it, mainly for the addons, I have 7 and 8 but haven't used it in a while, might be nice to see the changes, one thing that used to put me off is the way Mixcraft always assigns 2 tracks whenever I add a Kontakt instrument and how you have to click twice to get to the instrument from the track icon. I thought I had missed out on the special but got an email at the discount price so decided to get it.

The Digital River payment processing always adds money to the exchange rate when you buy. Another annoying feature they don't tell you about and they haven't changed it.

For example, the price of $29.00 US that you pay equates to $44.00 AUS at the current exchange rate however, they charged $48.00 . It's something to be aware of if you buy more expensive stuff from Acoustica because the gap between the current exchange rate and what they actually charge you gets bigger, the more you pay. You won't know about it until you have been charged if you use credit card (sneaky). I used Paypal and it comes up then.

Edited by Tezza